Forum / Free Like a Stranger

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Mar 01, 06:38am

Most of this, as smart as it is, is piney. Or: most of this is pitch as pine sap. I feel that a decent program would screen out memoir writers of a young age who cannot conjugate verbs, so something is off in that part of Ryan Boudinot's analysis. If the younger writer suddenly develops language tics in using his or her memory extensively, something related to Time or PTSD is taking place to foul verbs. It is the JOB--one that Boudinot abandoned or otherwise left--to understand writing and reading for praxis well enough to teach both. What person of talent believes that a school of education counselor can heal the writer who has experienced near-aphasic loss of language--not due to publication rejection but to being personally shunned by every team player--toward recovering talent? The memory writer must work to establish a voice (while many teachers eschew voice) to serve as a guise between him or her and his or her subject. Fiction has a pseudo comfort level established by a more accepted aspect of guise. Hmm, Boudinot as a teacher may not have been the real deal, sorry to wonder it.

http://www.thestranger.com/books/features/2015/02/27/21792750/things-i-can-say-about-mfa-writing-programs-now-that-i-no-longer-teach-in-one

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Mar 01, 07:04am

Posted on my Facebook page as well, article shared via Kris Bigalk.

• Web_bio_newglasses.thumb
    J.A. Pak
    Mar 01, 07:56pm

Interesting.

• Photo.thumb
    Adam Sifre
    Mar 02, 12:51am

"younger writer" "memory"

I understood those words.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.