Forum / Discuss the future of Fictionaut with Carson and Jurgen.

• Letitia_coyne.thumb
    Letitia Coyne
    Dec 23, 11:59pm

Here is the link to a facebook page set up by admin to offer suggestions.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/562814007195304/

If you don't have a facebook account and want to have a say just PM me and I'll add your thoughts to the mix.

Cheers.
    Lxx

• Photo%2015.thumb
    Gary Hardaway
    Dec 24, 12:29pm

Thanks, Letitia.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Dec 27, 03:40pm

Appreciate this, Letitia. Off the top of my head I'll say I like it the way it is. But I'm new and old, and hate to have to try to learn new tricks. On second thought, enabling comment editing would be nice.

• Matt_dennison.thumb
    Mat Dennison
    Feb 25, 04:49am

So...

Any updates from the Illuminati?

• Panama_hat.thumb
    Nonnie Augustine
    Feb 25, 06:27pm

I just joined the FB page. I didn't catch on until now.

• Angelcity1.thumb
    Chris Okum
    Feb 25, 07:08pm

Who?

• Blank_sp.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Feb 25, 10:44pm

Perhaps one of you who is a member of that group can mention that the formatting difficulties are discouraging new members ( see Diana Adams' post).

Formatting is probably on the fix-it list but maybe it needs to be bumped up?

• Letitia_coyne.thumb
    Letitia Coyne
    Feb 26, 11:24am

I was removed, so I cannot report.

Disruptive influence maybe? I don't know. My removal was not a point for discussion.

Lxx

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Feb 26, 08:08pm

It all seems very cloak & dagger.

Anyone care to share?

Anyone?

• Matt_dennison.thumb
    Mat Dennison
    Feb 26, 08:51pm

Sally--

You must realize...

these are very important people who can't be bothered with complexities such as implementing a PayPal Donate Button or fixing the Invite function.

They are very delicate.

And special.

Perhaps internetically inbred.

And must be treated as such.

• Image.thumb
    Charlotte Hamrick
    Feb 26, 09:53pm

We do not know the secret (virtual) handshake.

• Blank_sp.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Feb 26, 10:12pm

Nah, there's no handshake. All you have to do is be on FB and click on "Join Group". I'm just not good at talking, discussing, planning so I left the group. Give me a job to do, I'm happy.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Feb 26, 10:19pm

"All you have to do is be on FB"

Exactly.

For those of us not on FB, that *is* the secret handshake...

• Blank_sp.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Feb 26, 10:26pm

I see it differently but won't belabour the point.

So you think it should be a "group" here instead?

• Image.thumb
    Charlotte Hamrick
    Feb 26, 10:32pm

I left the FB group in solidarity with Letitia's shabby treatment.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect general updates here from time to time.

Regardless of the messiness of the site , I've decided to stay and post within its limitations. That and there are some damn fine writers here.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Feb 26, 10:33pm

It just makes sense that something that concerns everyone...should be open to everyone. JMO.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Feb 26, 10:35pm

My above comment was in response to Carol's question.

Why the secrecy?

And no updates.

• Blank_sp.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Feb 26, 10:39pm

Okay, I'll join the group, put that point forward and see if anyone is willing to transfer the discussion here. If there is no discussion happening and no updates to pas along, that puts paid to it, once again.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Feb 26, 10:43pm

Carol Reid, my hero.

That would be greatly appreciated.

• Blank_sp.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Feb 27, 02:11am

There was some promising discussion in January about ideas for raising money, generating ongoing income for the site, based on highly increased traffic but unfortunately, and understandably, it didn't progress into action.

My impression is what's needed is either investment or high energy marketing, both of which are just not happening right now.

So no updates because there's no news to report...

On the bright side, there is still a lot of good will toward Fictionaut from regular and occasional participants, as I found out recently when I was looking for guest editors for the Editor's Eye.

Just don't look for formatting here, not on the menu.

• Photo.thumb
    Rachna K.
    Feb 27, 02:14am

The updates should be open to all who are here.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Feb 27, 02:26am

Carol, thanks for taking the time to do that.

I'm with TIZ - all discussions on the future of this site should take place in the open, and information should not have to be relayed through appointed (or kind-hearted) intermediaries).

"generating ongoing income for the site, based on highly increased traffic"

That is going to be very difficult to achieve if the invite function is broken 49 out of every 52 weeks.........

• Blank_sp.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Feb 27, 02:33am

There's really nothing stopping anyone here from forming a group on this topic. I guess the main objection to that would be that Jurgen and Carson would probably not be active members, but if a workable practical plan were generated from a group here, I'm sure it would be possible to relay it to them.

The ads don't generate much and the kind of money needed to get things done here doesn't come from donations or kickstarter campaigns, from a membership as depleted as it is here. We all know this, right?

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Feb 27, 02:42am

I'll probably be banned for being negative here, but if a group of people *including* Jurgen and Carson were not able to come up with a workable plan, then I don't see how a group *not* involving them would be of any use.

I see nothing here changing.

But, despite its limitations, it's still a valuable tool I'll use as long as I'm allowed.

• Matt_dennison.thumb
    Mat Dennison
    Feb 27, 03:37am

What I wanna know is why Fixinaut still in Beta?

What up wit' dat?

Gnome sane?

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Feb 27, 10:51am

We set up the Facebook group so people could exchange ideas or volunteer to help out without cluttering this forum. If you'd like to participate in whatever discussion there is, all you have to do is join.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Feb 27, 05:32pm

Missed out on some "shabby treatment" it seems. To quote the patron saint of triumphant victims (whose name escapes me at the moment), "Why can't we all just get along?"

• Matt_dennison.thumb
    Mat Dennison
    Feb 27, 09:10pm

Jurgen--

You own this site.

Either monetize it in order to fix the Invite/formatting issues

or admit that you refuse to.

There's nothing to talk about.

• Tinabarry.thumb
    Tina Barry
    Feb 27, 11:19pm

Mat--

If these "very important," "very delicate," "special," "perhaps internetically inbred" people bother you so much, why not leave? There must be other online communities where you'd be happier.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Feb 28, 12:24am

I dunno...but methinks this might be a good place to draw a line partikaler under this thread, eh?

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Feb 28, 12:26am

That was meant to be -

"under this partikaler thread"

I ain't too bright.

• This thread was locked on 2015-02-28 09:25:08 UTC.

What Tina and Sally said.