strannikov
    Oct 12, 01:57pm

Topicality of topicalities: only five titles spring to mind unprovoked--

Love in the Time of Cholera/Garcia Marquez

The Plague/Camus

"The Masque of the Red Death"/Poe

A Journal of the Plague Year/Defoe

The Decameron/Boccaccio

Others? Favorites? (Poe's tale I value highly for being specifically American and apropos to a plague of hemorrhagic fever.)

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Oct 12, 01:59pm

I once caught oral thrush. I went to the student health service. The treatment was a single swallow of a red liquid that tasted and felt sort of like warm liquid jello before it is set in the refrigerator. Cured.

Ann Bogle
    Oct 12, 02:08pm

This, too, will seem off-topic. Chekhov's "Ward 6" is brilliant and necessary. I own Ecco's 13-volume set of Chekhov's stories, and I am almost sure the story is not in any volume of that set. It is in Penguin's Lady With the Pet Dog volume, different in its contents than Ecco's Lady With the Pet Dog volume. In fact, the exact title varies a little, too. I would love to find out how those stories ended up ordered in volumes, whose decisions those are/were. "Ward 6" is about a provincial mental hospital far from St. Petersburg where a debtor and family man is held and a sadistic guard beats him. The doctor in the story realizes he has more in common with the debtor locked in the mental hospital than with anyone else in the tiny village and recommends the closing of the hospital, at the doctor's own peril. It is the only story Chekhov wrote in that year, 1992 or 1993.

Ann Bogle
    Oct 12, 02:10pm

1892 or 1893

Ann Bogle
    Oct 12, 02:12pm

Margaret Atwood published a novel about the Influenza years near WWI -- I haven't read it.

• Photo_00020.thumb
    strannikov
    Oct 12, 02:25pm

Now that you mention Chekhov, Ann, I'm reminded at least of "Bed No. 29" by Maupassant, who set more than two stories in hospitals and spas treating some of the afflictions of the period, to say nothing of his stories of psychological terror, insanity, et cetera.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Oct 12, 03:10pm

Legendarily, after Lenin read "Ward #6,", Ann, he had to rush outdoors to breathe fresh air. By his own admission, as Chekhov's later stories grew at least more complex, and usually longer, he spent more time on them--months as opposed to the early days when, for newspapers and the like, he could turn them out, two or three a day.

Boccaccio's stories ( in the DECAMERON) are set at the time, and in the context of the black plague in Italy, when the framing narrative has the group of storytellers ensconced in the country, away from the city's contagion, whiling the nights away with storytelling and other entertainments, but I don't know whether the plague itself is included in any of the tales.

Ann Bogle
    Oct 12, 03:28pm

I now have a hard cover Maupassant that I received as inheritance. There is a story in it called "The Jewels" and it is NOT "The Necklace," as I wondered at first if it might be. I want to read all of them. I'll take a look for "Bed No. 29" -- I guess Maupassant and Poe were considered both the best of their time. "Ward 6" is fairly long as stories go. I didn't know Chekhov wrote stories so quickly before that, David, wow.

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Oct 12, 05:37pm

Revolution John just published my contribution to "plague literature": The Crusade - http://bit.ly/kreuzzug - written in response to the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Enjoy.

I remember reading Defoe's description long time ago (it impressed me immensely), and I often reread Camus' novel. One of the few books I reread at all: it's a very, very deep, dark lake in which one can easily disappear.

Perhaps Chekhov wrote fast because he knew, somehow, that he wouldn't have much time. Interesting also about Lenin crossing paths with that story, Ward #6. I wonder if Lenin took its protagonist's belief that "suffering leads man to perfection" to heart, turning it into the vision that eventually bore the Soviet state and its heaps of corpses.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Oct 14, 06:47pm

Chekhov began writing as a supplement to his and his extended family's income. He wrote very brief pieces ( "Flash" avant le lettre, peut-etre; essays, brief satirical pieces) that were published in newspapers and broadsheets for which he was paid a pittance. Give me a subject, he said, and in a few minutes I will provide you with a story. Mingled in among these were character sketches, brief anecdotes, vestigial short stories. He never considered himself anything more than a hack until he had a letter from a prominent editor and critic who praised his talent and reproved him for wasting it on trivia. He accepted the criticism and began then to write more seriously. Probably the better part of the more than 700 stories he wrote in his life were from the early period when he was writing for money and quickly. Many of them, are quite good, well worth reading.

• Photo_00020.thumb
    strannikov
    Oct 15, 11:27am

Latterly, the Oedipus plays (the Greek of Sophocles, the Latin of Seneca) qualify, though confessedly eye-gouging does not seem a hygienic response to an outbreak of plague: but as a Cousin Flannery character might remind us, "they wasn't as advanced as we are".

• Blank_sp.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Oct 15, 05:12pm

If I had to choose the one story that made young me want to be a writer, The Masque of the Red Death is the one.

I am Legend, by Richard Matheson (published 1954) is another favourite plague-themed story.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Oct 15, 06:26pm

Just thought of one, Margaret Atwood's ORYX AND CRAKE.

• Photo_00020.thumb
    strannikov
    Oct 16, 04:57pm

Shame on me, apologies to the late Michael Crichton, and DUH!: The Andromeda Strain.

Ann Bogle
    Oct 27, 09:49am

@ strannikov,

I am seeking Bed no. 29. Here is de Maupassant's Collected Stories:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/3090/3090-h/3090-h.htm

What might be another translation of its title?

• Photo.thumb
    Adam Sifre
    Oct 27, 11:53am

I am shocked that zombie novels are not included here. More disrespect to the hygienically challenged.

• Photo_00020.thumb
    strannikov
    Oct 27, 02:11pm

@ Ann:

Try this link instead:

http://archive.org/stream/completeshortsto1903maup/completeshortsto1903maup_djvu.txt

Sad to say, but the Gutenberg link DOES NOT INCLUDE at least two of Maupassant's tales, "Bed No. 29" (Le Lit 29) and "The Horla" (not to be confused with the listed title "The Trip of Le Horla", not the same tale). I did not count the titles shown at the Gutenberg link, but it does not seem complete, for whatever reason.

Ann Bogle
    Oct 28, 12:54am

Thanks for the link, s.!

• Image.thumb
    Charlotte Hamrick
    Oct 28, 12:59am

Oryx and Crake - yes. The entire MaddAddam trilogy is outstanding, IMO.

• Image.thumb
    Charlotte Hamrick
    Oct 28, 01:03am

I would add Blindness by Jose Saramago. I couldn't put it down. Here's a NY Times review with a link to chapter 1:

http://www.nytimes.com/books/98/10/04/reviews/981004.04millert.html

• You must log in to reply to this thread.