Forum / Have you heard the one about...

• Wince_cover2.thumb
    Barry Basden
    Jul 26, 06:20pm

...the guy, sounds like he's from India, who calls up and says, 'You're Microsoft computer is downloading viruses and--'

'How the fuck do you know that?'

Silence.

And you say again, 'How the fuck do you know that?'

And he hangs up.

Have you heard that one?

• Best_guy_ever.thumb
    whatwouldbukowskido
    Jul 26, 06:30pm

No.

But I just got an email from Egypt (addressed to "undisclosed recipients") stating that my internet account would be closed and that I would never be able to be online again if I didn't provide them ALL my personal information.

So of course I did

not.

• Wince_cover2.thumb
    Barry Basden
    Jul 26, 06:41pm

'Your' -- and I'm an editor. Ha. Ha.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Jul 26, 09:59pm

Barry - these people have been making the rounds here for the past year as I think they've found New Zealand a soft target. They've called my house no less than five times. Conversation goes a bit like this (depending on my mood and how inclined I am to mess with them):

Them: This is Microsoft technical support. You have viruses on your computer and we're going to help.

Me: How FASCINATING! Do tell me more!

Them: Go to your computer IMMEDIATELY and I'll talk you through the process.

Me: Oh, you mean the process by which I give you access to my computer so you can rape it of all my personal details? That process?

Them: (Angry): This is a very serious matter. You must go to your computer IMMEDIATELY or risk serious loss of your data.

Me: Here's a thought...I'm in a bit of a rush...why don't you give me your full name, the department you work in at Microsoft, and a call back number and I'll get back to you when it's convenient.

*click*
    They have caused a lot of trouble, though, particularly with the elderly who aren't technologically savvy. They are scum.

But my FAVORITE scam of late has to be either the "Eviction Notice" e-mails, or the 'court' sending an e-mail "Notice to Appear".

HA!!

• Image.thumb
    Charlotte Hamrick
    Jul 27, 12:09am

Oh, yeah. I get a call from "a Microsoft engineer" at least once a week telling me my computer is " telling us you have a problem".
    "Silly computer", says I, "it's confused. Don't pay any attention to it."
    F*cktards.

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Jul 28, 07:34pm

The tech's are helpful if you call the company, sometimes very thorough and knowledgeable, and sometimes there is no fee for their services if the product you have installed is new.

I have not gotten a call such as the one described here but I get a lot of fundraising calls, often for specific illnesses.

I received an email inviting me to work as a domestic in India, and I gave it thought.

• Web_bio_newglasses.thumb
    J.A. Pak
    Jul 28, 07:40pm

Those scums have been active in California for at least a year. Even made the local news.

Ann, domestic servitude in India can be interesting: a woman's literary efforts were discovered while she was working as a maid; her boss got her work published and she was a literary star for a while; sadly can't remember her name as I did not read her book; she may still be a literary star; in India.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.