Forum / A great read: Barry Friesen's new collection

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jul 03, 12:51pm

THELMA the SLAP THERAPIST, whose slapstick(!) title a bit undersells the pathos, depth of understanding and serious wit of Barry Friesen's wonderful collection, is up and available at Amazon. You will be grateful for every moment you spend immersed in the prose of these fine stories, some of which previously appeared here, all of which benefit from being coupled together, in part to allow the reader to appreciate the full range of this gifted writer.

Sorry I couldn't do the link but hell you can do the work: Thelma the Slap Therapist, by Barry Friesen at Amazon.

• Blank_sp.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Jul 04, 04:38am

Thanks, David! Barry is indeed gifted.

• Picture_1.thumb
    Barry Friesen
    Jul 04, 10:01pm

Aww. So gracious and generous of both of you. Thanks for the nod, David! Very kind.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Jul 05, 05:25am
  • Picture_1.thumb
    Barry Friesen
    Jul 29, 06:14pm

Not fiction, so to speak, but a freebie, today and tomorrow, Jul 28 and Jul 29. If you're inclined at all to cheeky stuff about emotion, help yourself to Recreational Suffering:

http://www.amazon.com/Recreational-Suffering-choose-better-hobby-ebook/dp/B00M02TEJE/ref=sr_1_5?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1406653908&sr=1-5&keywords=barry+friesen

• Picture_1.thumb
    Barry Friesen
    Jul 29, 06:22pm

Shoot. Temporally dyslexic. Should be Jul 29, Jul 30.

• Best_guy_ever.thumb
    whatwouldbukowskido
    Jul 29, 07:43pm

Shoot. Only free with Kindle Unlimited ($9.99/month).

Guess I'll have to buy it...

;-)

• Blank_sp.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Jul 29, 08:18pm

Started reading Recreational Suffering this morning. It's clear, sensible, compassionate, gently playful...certainly worth checking out!

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jul 29, 08:33pm

Aside from myself, I can think of several people who are way too fond of their misery. Hope I can turn them on to it.

• Picture_1.thumb
    Barry Friesen
    Jul 29, 09:59pm

Mr. Pitts, it would be a grievous disrespect to any denizen of Yadawgsquat, Mississippi not to offer recreational suffering freely and without reservation. The virtual itness of this Kindle book is free everywhere on the planet--it is ALSO free if someone is so frivolous with cash as to waste some on Amazon's absurd Kindle Unlimited.

• Best_guy_ever.thumb
    whatwouldbukowskido
    Jul 30, 12:06am

How do one do dat den?

• Picture_1.thumb
    Barry Friesen
    Jul 30, 12:35am

Hm. Matt, I'm just learning this Kindle stuff. But my screen for the link shows the book priced at $0.00, and if you click the orange "Buy now with 1-Click" button to the right, it downloads for free onto your Kindle or the Kindle you have on your computer.

(The blurb about Unlimited is still there, but Amazon is putting that on all Kindle books--even the download-for-free ones--cuz they're trying to attract subscribers.)

Does that work?

• Best_guy_ever.thumb
    whatwouldbukowskido
    Jul 30, 12:45am

Got it! Thanks!

• Blank_sp.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Aug 14, 03:13pm

Giving this thread a little nudge back into view. Barry's approach to Recreational Suffering has been and continues to be helpful to me.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Aug 14, 03:48pm

I may be too far gone for help, but I'm reading it too, and if I weren't it would be. Highly recommended for anyone with issues.

• P1010459.thumb
    Lucinda Kempe
    Aug 19, 06:05pm

And who doesn't have issues??? :-))))

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Aug 19, 07:09pm

I was wondering when somebody would notice, Lucinda.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.