Forum / Fictionaut from here to there...

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 08, 08:19pm

It's good that Carson is working on Fictionaut and if the invites are restored, along with notifications via email, great.

In the future, I would like to see the site restored to it's former status and more. I would like to see it enhanced and continually maintained.

I've thought about this and would like to get a serious movement started within the membership by people willing to petition those who own the site for greater future input by active members. I'd like to think that the site could be viable as a self-governed and financially self-sustained collective of writers.

If you agree and would like to get involved, message me through Fictionaut and I will add you to a list in the form of a petition. The details of our petition will be worked on by the people willing to add their names to the list, perhaps in an off-site venue... a web page maybe.

The only way this will work is if enough of us are willing to get involved and this request is nothing more than a weather vane to that end. If there's no significant interest, then I'll drop it, but if there is a quorum of interested writers in Fictionaut, then the only way to move forward is collectively.

It's up to you.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Jun 08, 08:53pm

"It's up to you."

Well actually...it's up to *them*.

My concern throughout these discussions is not lack of interest on behalf of membership, but lack of interest on behalf of ownership.

The fact that a movement must be waged to gain attention is, in itself, disturbing.

A hundred people can knock on their door, but if no one answers...

What I would like to see is a *dialog* between membership and ownership, some idea of where their thinking is in terms of the future (or non-future) of the site.

Instead of a Forum post every 8 months saying, "Please stand by."

So...that said. I'm quick to squawk when things go awry, so sign me up for whatever.

If that's what it takes. I'd love to see this place get fixed/enhanced.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 08, 09:13pm

Do something. Don't do something. It's up to you.

• Web_bio_newglasses.thumb
    J.A. Pak
    Jun 08, 09:44pm

James, could you explain to newer members like me what "it's former status" was like or what you mean by that?

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 08, 11:16pm

When everything worked.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 09, 09:47pm

Three people expressed a desire to get involved so far. Not exactly bound for consensus here. Anybody else?

• Best_guy_ever.thumb
    whatwouldbukowskido
    Jun 09, 10:23pm

Until
    the powers the be
    express an ACTUAL INTEREST
    in keeping this place alive
    there's nothing we can do. How
    can you give money to someone with
    their hand NOT out? (though it WAS
    interesting to see who popped up
    when Carson popped up to give
    yet another empty promise).

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 10, 02:26am

"...nothing we can do."

Nothing you can do, maybe, but there might be some people interested in trying to do something in spite of your curiously strenuous efforts to convince them otherwise.

• Blank_sp.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Jun 10, 02:47pm

It might be useful to ask a professional web designer how much it costs to create and maintain a site like this. I've read a couple of articles online about building small business sites and it sounds like 10 K for design and $250 per month maintenance are in the ballpark. Whether a small business site is comparable to fnaut, don't know.

I'll look into this some more.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 10, 03:30pm

Thank you, Carol. It's a good idea to have a plan and that's an important first step.

Been looking into this myself. Knowledge of the costs involved are critical to any plan.

Thanks.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 10, 03:31pm

is critical... ('at's another upgrade I'd like to see, editing in the forum.)

• Best_guy_ever.thumb
    whatwouldbukowskido
    Jun 10, 04:53pm

"Nothing you can do, maybe, but there might be some people interested in trying to do something in spite of your curiously strenuous efforts to convince them otherwise."

!. There IS nothing I can do until the powers that be utilize the ideas already presented (many, repeatedly, by moi, for the past three years...).

2. There are MANY people here trying to do something.

3. On the other hand, there are MANY people here who merely stand up and applaud when Carson pops in to announce he's "working on it."

4. Ultimately, NO ONE can DO anything until we are given the MEANS to do so.

5. We are NOT BEING ALLOWED to give money to a site that claims it needs money.

• Best_guy_ever.thumb
    whatwouldbukowskido
    Jun 10, 05:39pm

Thou are not the Deciding Jesus of this site.

Thou only want'eth to appear so.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 10, 06:00pm

Mr. Dennison aka Tom Smith, I've pretty much decided to try and do something, with or without your permission, blessing, whatever. You can write your objections until it floods the forum, make accusations, insinuations as you wish.

If people don't want to get involved, that's their decision. Not mine. I will assume you're not interested in helping out and, though it strikes a terrible blow to the cause, I'll try to go on somehow without you.

I do indeed applaud Carson and hope he will restore the site. If not, maybe I'll try to start another site for writers of fiction, but don't worry, I'll not ask for your help either way.

• Best_guy_ever.thumb
    whatwouldbukowskido
    Jun 10, 06:10pm

"If people don't want to get involved, that's their decision. Not mine. I will assume you're not interested in helping out"

*sigh*

For the millionth time...

People WANT to get involved.
    But there's no way to do that
    when there is NO communication
    from On High.

I've been offering to give this site money for the past three years (and remember you messaging me that you would "NOT pay for exposure" when I messaged you about the possibility of giving money to the site.)

Carson has been "checking in" every year and a half or so to say he's "working on it."

It's not happening, Jesus.

• Best_guy_ever.thumb
    whatwouldbukowskido
    Jun 10, 06:27pm

"Mr. Dennison aka Tom Smith"

*sigh*

For the millionth time...

Matt Dennison
    903 3rd Avenue South
    Columbus, MS 39701

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 10, 06:28pm

If it doesn't happen here, so be it.

In that event, another web site could be constructed, but this isn't the venue for discussion in that vein. I don't think it's ethical to discuss it here. But when I'm ready, I'll let interested people know if and how and when.

But you go ahead on and continue your diatribe if it makes you happy, however, I've disengaged as of... now.

• Best_guy_ever.thumb
    whatwouldbukowskido
    Jun 10, 06:31pm

James, you always take your ball and go home
    when things get real...

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 10, 06:38pm

If anyone other than Mr. Smith is interested in getting involved in doing something real to restore Fictionaut, message me. I'll keep your name confidential so you won't be subject to harassment or ridicule.

Thanks.

• Best_guy_ever.thumb
    whatwouldbukowskido
    Jun 10, 10:56pm

If you need to enemyize, "us and them" your world, retreat into your bunker...

demonize obvious angels...

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 11, 08:26pm

Five people and counting. Need a lot more. Message me here an I'll keep your name in confidence.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 13, 03:46pm

Okay, we're not generating a whole lot of interest here, in spite of the little bit of personal drama from Matt Dennison, aka Who&Whatever.

Those of you who've shown an interest in maybe starting up a different online literary community... I'll be in touch because I like the idea and will move forward soon. And thanks for responding, those of you who did.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.