Forum / She works hard for the money

• Frankie Saxx
    Jun 03, 03:41pm

Besides short term solutions like crowd funding or a donate button to raise enough dosh to slap a new motor in the bilge pump and keep the old girl floating a while longer, even if she has developed an awkward starboard list, I've been thinking about Jürgen's statement asking for comments and ideas.

I'm on this site called Ravelry. I guess you could say it's kind of like Fictionaut for knitters. People put knitting patterns on there. They comment on other people's patterns, post up pictures of the things they've made from the patterns there...

But it makes money.

And how they've made money is very interesting. (Hint: it's not Google ads)

http://blog.ravelry.com/2012/01/25/how-does-ravelry-make-money/

I think every one of those methods could be translated to a thing Fictionaut could do. I'm not sure whether Fictionaut uses it's own or gets it from somewhere else, but the thing about the Ravelry one is it is always relevant. And, I assume, affordable, because I see ads from small shops and handcrafters, the kind of people that have Etsy stores. And I think the Fictionaut logo would look great on tshirts and totebags and notebook skins. And if people are going to self publish anyway, why not let them do it directly through here also and take a percentage? Sell tickets to a shindig once in a while? (Is there already a "Fictioncon?" XD)

I use another site, a fitness site that started up a couple years ago. Besides having a premium membership with some perks, one of the things they do is sell classes and coaching packages from fitness experts.

I think that could translate too. Writers are always looking for money, and there's already a whole industry devoted to workshops and classes on how to write and how to get better at writing. Maybe not quite the same earner as getting skinny & hot, but it's there, but this is an established way of making money in the literary world.

And if, through the miracle of webcams and chat platforms, you can take a weightlifting class online, it doesn't seem that far fetched that people could do online writing workshops.

They aren't quick turn around solutions, and they're all predicated on having a large, vibrant user base that sees value in the site, uses it connect creatively with other people, and build communities.

I don't know if the polish is off the apple at this point or if it would be just too much work, and the hardest part really is building the community, but those are some ideas I've seen generate revenue for other social sites based on a shared interest.

Thought:

Not knowing how it's set up, and even if there's code in place to support it, but with the invitations all busted up, would it be possible to just let people join without invites? Like a switch Carson could just flip on for a couple days? I know several people that'd like to join, and I think other people are in the same boat. Maybe we could just tell them when that's happening?

• Blank_sp.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Jun 03, 04:05pm

You made me realize it could actually be fun to work toward restoring the Fictionaut, Frankie. My crow jewellery project last year generated a few bucks for animal charities. I could easily design and make stuff with book cover images or even pieces of text or the fnaut logo. Maybe if we act like a small town in best way we can do this thing and enjoy the process?

• Frankie Saxx
    Jun 03, 04:27pm

That is a cool idea! I have seen some word-type bracelets on Etsy.

You do resin, right? I love these: http://www.omniaoddities.com/#!/~/category/id=6117983

They'd be awesome with quotes from fictionaut stories in them.

Also a Fritz Lang pendant would not go amiss. I would wear it the way some people wear St. Christopher medals i.e. with hope.

http://fictionaut.com/forums/general/threads/2432

I am trying to think of what useful skills I have. The outlook is not good. I would offer to dust off my coding pants if there was any way I could help Carson, but I think someone said Fictionaut uses Ruby and I am compeletely unfamiliar with it. :/

• Frankie Saxx
    Jun 03, 04:29pm

Hmm. But maybe I could knit some things. I will have to think of relevant, fictionaut/literature related things I could render in fiber.

We could have the first annual Fictionaut Craft Fair and Literary Soiree!

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 03, 05:01pm

I do love a positive spin. Thanks, Frankie!

• Blank_sp.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Jun 03, 05:06pm

Yikes, I could blow my whole allowance on those bangles! The stuff I make is my photos adhered to resin cabochons and mounted. You could knit or weave bookmarks using interesting yarn or ribbon, quick to make and useful :-)

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jun 03, 11:14pm

I'd spring for a Fictionaut T-shirt, just to cause some headscratching around town,

• Frankie Saxx
    Jun 04, 01:42am

I would totally rock a fi tishirt!

• Frankie Saxx
    Jun 04, 01:42am

@carol I just discovered "poetry mittens" are a thing. Like since the 17th century.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Jun 04, 02:58am

"why don't you hie yourself over to the Forum and offer your own actually doable ideas"

My comment in David Ackley's thread:

"What's missing in all of these discussions/threads/posts is

participation

from anyone in a position to make *anything* happen.

Until the absentee landlord(s) appear and begin to show an interest in these issues...

nothing is going to happen.

"It's hard to ask people for money"

I'll write a check. But someone has to tell me for how much and where to send it.

Until that happens, we're in a stall situation."

Ideas have value only if there is someone listening.

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Jun 04, 10:28am

Oh, sadly, I wear no logos and I attach no bumper stickers. A personalized plate maybe, but then the state would get the $.

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Jun 04, 10:35am

F = left pinky
    I = left ring
    C = left middle
    T = left index
    I = left thumb

O = right thumb
    N = right index
    A = right middle
    U = right ring
    T = right pinky

I wear bicycle gloves day in, day out. It started as protective gear at the computer for the heel of my right hand and turned into my "safety belt" for both hands when I go online and drive.

Bicycle gloves run about $30 a pair or more. I just bought black leather ones for $45 less 20% sale discount.

The beauty of bicycle gloves, of course, we can write by hand and type while wearing them. The letters could go on the knuckles.

• Frankie Saxx
    Jun 04, 11:02am

Or wear them while bicycling. I do not have bicycle gloves. I remember this every time I bicycle in the cold and the rain.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.