Forum / Questions about business

• 2734896685_cccc347f0a_b.thumb
    Kevin Myrick
    Jun 22, 09:02am

Fellow Fictionauts,

As everyone might imagine, being a starving artist sucks. And frankly, I'm tired of starving. So I've decided that I want to start really pushing to sell my work online. I've got most of the writing and technology parts worked out. My problem is, of course, the business side of things.

I don't expect to sell millions of dollars worth of ebooks or anything like that, but I imagine at some point our friends in the federal government is going to want a cut.

Thus my question is as follows: should I set up a separate checking account for this? Use the one I already have?

Basically, what will make life easier when it comes time to file my taxes next April?

Thanks for any advice!
    -Kevin

• Pub%20bio%20pic.thumb
    Cherise Wolas
    Jun 22, 09:31am

If it were me, I would set up a separate account. I would keep great track of all my business-related receipts, since some will be deductible. I might even use a dba.

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    Jul 08, 12:21pm

Hi Kevin-

Set up a separate account. It will make your life so much easier especially when it comes time to do taxes. Save every receipt you can for it. It is amazing at what you can write off.
    Much luck with your business. I hope it goes great for you!!!

• 2734896685_cccc347f0a_b.thumb
    Kevin Myrick
    Jul 08, 12:29pm

I wouldn't so much call is a business more than an attempt to make money off of my writing beside being a reporter.

A lot will depend on how the e-book market develops, I guess.

-Kev

• You must log in to reply to this thread.