Forum / Darryl's Year-end Best of 2013 cd list

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Dec 07, 09:43pm

In no particular order(because why would you do that to yourself?):

the Avett Brothers--simple, honest and pushing the envelope just enough(Magpie and the Dandelion)

Savages--this is the sound of working through the pain in spite of the pain because you believe in something beautiful on the other side, like the give and take between bass and lead guitar here, raw, super-charged, unafraid.(Silence Yourself)

My Bloody Valentine--they came back and left us with another ball of noise that delights and confounds, invites and bites, it's a thrill that doesn't get old.(MBV)

Chvrches--we knew this was going to be something great when the single broke, worth the wait, a band full of deep wells and surprisingly strong choices, especially in the post pop world of the internet.(Bones of What You Believe)

Kurt Vile--Just a great record from beginning to end. It proves the power of singer songwriters to still connect,dissect and rearrange our brains with something immediate and interesting to say. Here all Kurt's previous promise comes to fruit. Very Cool. (Walking on a Pretty Daze)

Bob Dylan--here it is, proof that not only can he sing, he can simply mesmerize--as if there were any doubt. Try SPANISH IS THE LOVING TONGUE--you won't be able to get this haunting tune out of your head. It's the most romantic thing released all year long. Nashville did him no favors by covering up the beauty already there for its official release. Rings like a prophecy of greater things to come.(Another Self Portrait)

Surfer Blood--this is the kind of record all young guys would like to make. It's boys music done by boys. I thought when so many people slagged off on this record it must be terrible==nah, they just don't get it. One of my favorites of the year.Pretty, sloppy and ferocious (Pythons)

King Krule--now here's a kid steeped in the history of the blues, of guitars, of social concerns, with matters of the heart who has turned it all into a highly original sound of his own making. He's very, very young--and that's what makes it so amazing. He ruled the internet--now he's set to rule the airwaves.(6 Feet Beneath the Moon)

Childish Gambino--this is music being hijacked and saved from itself by a brave young man only willing to tell the truth. He's not afraid of who he is, but he doesn't forget the rest of the world just because of it. New, original, moving, fearless rap and r&b with a totally modern sensibility.This is greatness. (Because the Internet)

Smith Westerns==a pitch perfect band who deliver the goods in song after song==good as U2--just quieter and with loads of confidence and chops. This goes down easy, but it leaves you full of the best kind of fighting spirit. Good for the soul, but it's rock or pop or just plain good music. (Soft Will)

Honorable mentions--Foxygen,Caveman,Fitz and the Tantrums,Linda Thompson,Arctic Monkeys,Depeche Mode,Goldfrapp,James Blake,Kacey Musgraves and Atoms for Peace.

Worst of the Year(it's just an opinion, don't get up on your high horse):Arcade Fire, Haim, Jay-Z

Very nice surprise--return of Pre-fab Sprout!!

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Dec 08, 02:27am

I saw Arcade Fire last night on a British talk show.

Boy.

They *were* bad.

Got any links for your faves?

• 62698557287.thumb
    Matthew Robinson
    Dec 08, 03:28am

Some of my favorite tracks from Darryl's list:

Kurt Vile - "Walkin on a Pretty Daze"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSh5ZJd7DnE

Childish Gambino (aka Donald Glover aka Dong Lover) - "Freaks and Geeks" (an older track)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otPxoVQiIGo
    Can I just say that I really love this ridiculous track and the inventive, minimal video. Explicit lyrics.

Arctic Monkeys "Mad Sounds"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uimWYQcxjhk

Arcade Fire "We Exist"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L35rpdiHH_8
    Definitely not their best album (Funeral is one of my all-time favorites), but this is a strong track for sure.

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Dec 14, 03:30pm

I forgot to mention Mikal Cronin--just a delight-and Camera Obscura-desire lines--sweet!
    1 more? Beatles live vol 2

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Dec 15, 07:58pm

Thanks for sharing all of these great selections, dp!!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.