Forum / Want to Get a Book Published?

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    May 28, 12:19pm

* Note: I posted this on Longer Story Forums then decided to make it a separate topic:

Want a book published? Go with a small press publisher. They are out there (and there are many) still making real books of fiction and poetry, distributing them, putting them up on amazon and B&N, etc etc, getting them reviewed.

Any writer who truly wants a book of fiction or poetry published, should seek out small press publishers.

Buy their books, send them a small contribution. Most are running the press out of their own pocket money, since grants have essentially dried up. They do it for the love of books.

They will remember you for contributing, and when you ask them to read your manuscript, you will get a fair read.

Trust me on this. I've been the route. Two of my novels spent nearly 3 years at a major commercial publisher, only to have my editor either quit or get fired, the books turned over to other eds, (a total of 4 editors in 3 years), and finally to have both manuscripts land back on my doorstep unpublished.
    It was the nightmare of nightmares.

I found the small press to be a wonderful way to get a book published. You may have to do a lot of your own PR, but these days it's the same if you go with a commercial publisher. They will expect you to do a lot of your own PR.

The book world is changing, for sure, but the small press is a viable alternative

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    May 29, 11:41am

Susan, this is a good route to go as you suggested. Forget I am a publisher for a minute. I am a writer who sends out work and manuscripts etc... I have had wonderful experiences with my books coming out by small publishers. I had full control over my book covers which was important to me. I picked what I wanted. The only book, I didn't get to do this on or anything else is my new book in Romanian which I haven't seen yet.
    As a publisher, I am seeing many more novels submitted than I used to. I have read some amazing work and am happy to be able to publish it. No one will get rich off of my press but I put alot of work and love into what I do.
    I know many small press editors who love what they do too.
    So, I am in full support of the small press.
    Thanks for bringing this up to everyone Susan.

• Fb_fanpage2.thumb
    George LaCas
    Jun 05, 02:07am

I've gone with a small press for my debut novel (July 2011), and so far I like the feel of it.

Better to get a few titles under my belt with small independents, is my view.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.