Forum / know any good/ cheap editors?

• Spaceinvaders.thumb
    brian warfield
    May 09, 03:40am

I am looking for an editor or someone who will read and give feedback on a novella in progress. I don't really have any money, but I might be able to pay you something. I really need to have a set of critical eyes, someone who would actually get back to me.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    May 10, 08:54pm

"good" and "cheap" may not be a winning combination...

Know any good, cheap, plastic surgeons?

• Letitia_coyne.thumb
    Letitia Coyne
    May 11, 05:53am

Amanda Lepore knows a great plastic surgeon - but this work doesn't come cheap!

http://plasticsurgerybeforeandafter.blogspot.com.au/2009/10/bad-nose-job.html

:)
    Lxx

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    May 11, 06:12am

I rest my case.

• Me.thumb
    Foster Trecost
    May 11, 01:19pm

Try Jurgen and Marcy: http://mjedit.com

• Marcy.thumb
    Marcy Dermansky
    May 11, 02:43pm

Thanks, Foster!

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    May 11, 03:40pm

What is the range of the cheap vs expensive rates?

• Canada_usa_2011_002.thumb
    Christopher Allen
    May 11, 06:33pm

Hi, Brian,
    I also provide editing services. Not trying to compete with Jürgen and Marcy of course. If you've already gone with them, great! How many pages is your novella?

• Spaceinvaders.thumb
    brian warfield
    May 13, 04:43pm

My novella is around 28000 words. Yeah, it seems that you get what you pay for, so I need to be willing to invest in myself. Hopefully I will be able to.

• Facebook.thumb
    John Riley
    May 13, 07:16pm

I'm curious. Have you had someone who you have confidence in read it? Are you sure you need an editor?

• Letitia_coyne.thumb
    Letitia Coyne
    May 14, 07:04am

I know it is an unpopular stance in todays writing world, especially among young writers and those who have had bad experiences with the traditonal publishing world - but I think, honestly, every writer needs an editor.

They are not the enemy, although not every editor works well with every author, but a good editor who can see the work as an author wants it to be is a godsend.

A practised second set of eyes is beyond value.

I think.

Lxx

• Img_0568.thumb
    Gill Hoffs
    May 17, 05:21pm

If you're in the early stages of editing your novella and broke then it might be an idea to join a (reputable) critique site. There are some sites - I can't for the life of me remember what they're called, sorry - where writers meet and exchange critiques, or barter for them. Free but for your time and effort. Now, these are not without pitfalls, but perhaps something like that would be of use? Also, I find that editing/critiquing other people's work has been invaluable in developing my own writing skills (such as they are) and viewing my work with fresh eyes. Another option might be to join writing groups on facebook and get to know somebody in a similar situation whose opinion you value (and who you trust to view your work and give an honest, considered critique of it) and see if they would help - possibly in return for your help with their work. Paying for a skilled editor's time, one who 'gets' your work and has a decent track record/CV, may well be a worthwhile investment of your money, but you might as well do what you can with it yourself first. Best of luck, and be sure to trust your gut!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.