Forum / Sad to see them gone

• Frankie Saxx
    Apr 05, 09:37am

James Lloyd Davis & Matt "Crime Dawg" Dennison.

Always enjoyed their voices.

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Apr 05, 09:53am

? They've left the group?

• Frankie Saxx
    Apr 05, 10:23am

Yes. I knew James was going. Surprised to see "This user no longer exists" when I clicked on Matt tho. Was wondering where he'd been and was going to message.

• Letitia_coyne.thumb
    Letitia Coyne
    Apr 05, 10:46am

Oh, sad news.

I suppose people want different things from a community. Garth didn't stick around either and that's a shame. He is brilliant.

:(
    Lxx

• Frankie Saxx
    Apr 05, 10:49am

Is Garth gone now too? I was just getting to know him. :(

• Letitia_coyne.thumb
    Letitia Coyne
    Apr 05, 10:56am

Yes.

He's still at - http://thefarqueue.blogspot.com/

but he doesn't so the social thing much by choice.

Lxx

• Frankie Saxx
    Apr 05, 10:59am

I understand, though. When a place is taking more than it gives, time to move on. (Reminded of Marcus's chalkboard diagram.)

• Letitia_coyne.thumb
    Letitia Coyne
    Apr 05, 11:05am

I'm afraid I shy away from factions and dispute and fractious souls a bit myself.

But I'm content to do that by stepping back from the fray for a while rather than leave altogether. I abandoned 'writers groups' of the flesh and blood kind many years ago for those reasons. It isn't so easy to sit quietly on the sidelines in the flesh.

Lxx

• Frankie Saxx
    Apr 05, 11:20am

I wasn't thinking frays so much as just the vibe and energy in a place are no longer stimulating me. I don't mind a good fray or two, I suspect that's a natural occurrence when you've got passionate people with strong opinions. I like when everybody can shake hands at the end and take away a new perspective or a deeper understanding.

I do mind when it's the same goddamn fray involving the same goddamn people and it takes over every discussion to the point where no one can have a conversation about anything else; I've left places because of that kind of fray. That's a really boring kind of fray.

• 62698557287.thumb
    Matthew Robinson
    Apr 05, 08:12pm

Two catastrophic losses for this community. Two first rate writers with first rate minds.

Damn.

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Apr 05, 09:12pm

Matt is such a chameleon, it's hard to believe he won't pop up again.

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Apr 05, 09:19pm

As far as conflict, it seems to escalate very quickly with a lot of blaming and bitterness. I've considered leaving as well. Instead, for now, I may just take a break and stay away from The Forum. It's become toxic.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Apr 05, 11:49pm

"Two catastrophic losses for this community."

Indeed.

FYI - Michael Dickes is also among the recent casualties. Another whose work and overall vibe will be sorely missed, at least by me.

On a related note -

I offer an official statement on behalf of Matt the Crime Dawg Dennison, letting y'all know he's taking a break to return to the "original slime of solitary creation" and will be back in about a year.

• Mrsoftee1.thumb
    Jim V
    Apr 06, 10:45am

I've been writing and publishing 25 years. I've seen thousands of writers come and go and expect to see thousands more. If anyone is a wilting flower in the face of some conflict, they are better off seeking out another hobby/trade.

• Letitia_coyne.thumb
    Letitia Coyne
    Apr 06, 11:25am

I suppose it is one of the pitfalls of giving advice on the interweb, that you can never be sure who it is you are advising, or what their life experience has been.

Lxx

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Apr 06, 11:54am

James, you're right. But it seems like in any large group of people there is going to be conflict. It's unrealistic to expect otherwise. I've worked in the medical field. Just as bad.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.