Forum / Suggestion: should be able to make old private stories public again while a story is active on the main page

• Frankie Saxx
    Mar 29, 10:17am

Pretty much what it says.

If I try and make an old story public again while I have a story active on the front page, I get "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

I suspect there's just a check to see if there's a story on the main page before allowing another one to be set as public. It would be cool if there was some kind of additional validation, like checking the story's posted timestamp against the timestamp of the bottom story on the front page. (Not sure how the stories are actually ordered, but since old stories do not reappear on the main page when they are set private and then public again, there must be something that says where they go in the timeline.)

Anyway, not a big deal. Just a thought. :)

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Mar 29, 03:42pm

Easier to just wait a couple hours until you roll off the bottom of the page and into the black hole of the archives, no?

• Frankie Saxx
    Mar 29, 04:07pm

Susan, that's what I did. But I'm one of those instant gratification junkies. Click click click. But it's a pretty minor thing, yeah. Just weird that you can't unarchive old stories that won't affect the front page because you have a story on the page. Can probably make the story on the front page private, too, unarchive, and then set it back to public. Will try that next time. I think someone (Crime Dawg?) suggested that last time. But still a workaround.

I forgot that it happened before when I posted this.
    At least this time when I tried it didn't create a new story duplicate of my old one, except minus all the comments, and cause me to freak out. :)

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Mar 29, 04:08pm

Set current story to Private, edit old story to Anyone Can See... re-set current story to Anyone Can See.

Current story re-appears on Main Page and old story is now available to view via your bio page.

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Mar 29, 05:12pm

"Just weird that you can't unarchive old stories that won't affect the front page because you have a story on the page." -- Probably because making it public actually is like hitting the "publish" button.

Dolemite--that's probably the best method, unless you want the old story to be read and commented upon by the "public" as they're more likely to read it on the main page.

• Frankie Saxx
    Mar 29, 05:17pm

I bet in six months I'll have forgotten this quirk of Fictionaut and we'll have this discussion all over again.

It will be like Groundhog Day.

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Mar 29, 06:18pm

Yeah, we *have* been through this...

;-)

• Frankie Saxx
    Mar 29, 07:26pm

We can do it slightly differently each time in an attempt to break out of the loop.

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Mar 29, 10:35pm

This is another issue that would be great for the technology group we don't have.

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Mar 30, 08:34pm

Contact Carson Baker again. He's our only option.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Mar 31, 12:29am

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Mar 31, 01:41pm

Or you could just e-mail him. He usually responds. Eventually.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.