And to THE DAY

one year later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSOjIL3P5Ok

How crude.
    How magnificent.

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Feb 11, 09:57pm

Of course, by then they had already performed for zee queen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87lboHaZe5U

Dolemite
    Feb 11, 10:24pm
    Dolemite
    Feb 11, 11:38pm
  • Photo_00020.thumb
    strannikov
    Feb 16, 04:45pm

If it wasn't true then, in the intervening decades it has become true that THE ROLLING STONES will ever be the world's greatest rock 'n' roll band.

And the oldest.

("Rock 'n' roll: a genre of popular music celebrating adolescent frivolity and excess; amplified hyperbole or cliche of geriatric vintage.")

Dolemite
    Feb 16, 05:03pm

I enjoyed every single second of this (also finally learned how to play "Love in Vain"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2OJ6gZ7B9g

• Photo_00020.thumb
    strannikov
    Feb 16, 05:19pm

Spasibah. (And I promise I won't make any crack about this being filmed in 1978.)

Sad and scary both: their studio version of "Love in Vain" and that captured in "Gimme Shelter" and on "Get Yer Ya-Yas Out" (all c. 1969) were barely thirty years post-Robert Johnson.

Temporal velocity waits for no one.

Dolemite
    Feb 16, 08:52pm

"were barely thirty years post-Robert Johnson."

DANG!

I did the math, and...

you're right!

Dolemite
    Feb 16, 09:58pm

I think the entire video I linked is great, Stones at the top of their game, but the vocal by Lisa Fischer on Gimme Shelter (starting at 40 mins in) is just earth-shattering.

• Photo_00020.thumb
    strannikov
    Feb 17, 04:29pm

YOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW-ZUH!

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Feb 18, 07:34pm

Finally got a chance to watch the Stones video. Wow.

This from Wikipedia re the original recording/background vocalist of 'Gimme Shelter':

A higher-pitched second vocal track is sung by the guest vocalist Merry Clayton. Of her inclusion, Jagger said in the 2003 book According to the Rolling Stones: "The use of the female voice was the producer's idea. It would be one of those moments along the lines of 'I hear a girl on this track - get one on the phone.'" Clayton gives her solo performance, and one of the song's most famous pieces, after a solo performed by Richards, repeatedly singing "Rape, murder; It's just a shot away, It's just a shot away," and finally screaming the final stanza. She and Jagger finish the song with the line, "Love, sister, it's just a kiss away." To date it remains one of the most prominent contributions to a Rolling Stones track by a female vocalist.

At about 2:59 into the song, Clayton's voice cracks twice from the strain of her powerful singing; once during the second refrain, on the word "shot" from the last line, and then again during the first line of the third and final refrain, on the word "murder", after which Jagger can be heard saying "Yeah!" in response to Clayton's emotional delivery. She suffered a miscarriage upon returning home, attributed by some sources to the strain involved in reaching the highest notes

(I love the producer's statement!)

Dolemite
    Feb 18, 09:44pm

Yeah, that Merry Clayton version is the real deal for sure.

On a side-note, the exquisite female solo vocal by Clare Torry on "Great Gig in the Sky" from "Dark Side of the Moon" is also fantastic.

As the band began casting around for a singer, album engineer Alan Parsons suggested Clare Torry, a 22-year-old songwriter and session vocalist. Parsons had previously worked with Torry, and had liked her voice on a compilation album of covers.[3] An accountant from Abbey Road Studios contacted Torry and tried to arrange a session for the same evening, but she was initially unenthusiastic. Torry was not a particular fan of Pink Floyd, and she had various other commitments, including, she later admitted, tickets to see Chuck Berry that evening.[4] Eventually, however, a session was scheduled for the following Sunday.

From Wiki:

The band played the instrumental track to Torry, and then with very little further direction asked her to improvise a vocal. At first, Torry struggled to divine what the band wanted, but then she was inspired by the thought of pretending that she herself was an instrument.[5] She performed two complete takes, the second one more emotional than the first. David Gilmour asked for a third take, but halfway through Torry stopped, feeling she was getting repetitive and had already done the best she could. The final album track was assembled from all three takes. The members of the band were deeply impressed by Torry's performance, but were so reserved in their outward response that she left under the impression that her vocals would never make the final cut. She only became aware they were used when she saw the album at a local record store, spotted her name in the credits and purchased it.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Feb 19, 02:19am

She makes music history, then has to *buy* the record!

Not even a 'contributor's copy'?

That's cold.

• Photo_00020.thumb
    strannikov
    Feb 22, 05:04pm

Brian Jones sleeps an even colder sleep.

Dolemite
    Feb 23, 02:00am

He did what he had to do (bless his heart...) to make way for Mick Taylor

!

Dolemite
    Feb 23, 02:04am

(unless, of course, he was murdered, then that changes everything, but I don't think that's the case. I think he went swimming under zee influences and drowndeded.

Now Jimi Hendroicks COULD HAVE BEEN murdered by the CIA, in their anti-revolutionary zeal.)

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Feb 23, 03:04am

From wiki:

"At around midnight on the night of 2–3 July 1969, Jones was discovered motionless at the bottom of his swimming pool at Cotchford Farm. His Swedish girlfriend, Anna Wohlin, was convinced Jones was alive when he was taken out of the pool, insisting he still had a pulse. However, by the time the doctors arrived, it was too late, and he was pronounced dead. The coroner's report stated "death by misadventure", and noted his liver and heart were heavily enlarged by drug and alcohol abuse."

annnnnnd:

"Conspiracy theories surrounding Jones' death developed soon afterwards, with associates of the Stones claiming to have information that he was murdered.[42][43] According to rock biographer Philip Norman, "the murder theory would bubble back to the surface every five years or so".[42] In 1993, it was reported that Jones was murdered by Frank Thorogood, who was the last person to see Jones alive. Thorogood allegedly confessed to the murder to the Rolling Stones' driver, Tom Keylock, who later denied this.[44] The Thorogood theory was dramatised in the 2005 movie Stoned.[45] In August 2009 Sussex Police decided to review Jones's death for the first time since 1969, after new evidence was handed to them by Scott Jones, an investigative journalist in the UK. Scott Jones had traced many of the people who were at Brian Jones's house the night he died, plus unseen police files held at the National Archives. In the Mail on Sunday in November 2008 Scott Jones said Frank Thorogood killed Brian Jones in a fight and the senior police officers covered up the true cause of death. Following the review the Sussex police stated that they would not be reopening the case. They asserted that "this has been thoroughly reviewed by Sussex Police's Crime Policy and Review Branch but there is no new evidence to suggest that the coroner's original verdict of 'death by misadventure' was incorrect. As such, the case will not be reopened."

annnnnnnnnnnnnnd...

"Hendrix and Morrison both died within the following two years, both aged 27."
    Hmmmmm. You may be onto something here (!)

Dolemite
    Feb 23, 03:17am

Frank Thorogood was reportedly a bad guy.

From what I've read recently, Jim Morrison got into heroin, via his girlfriend, while in Paris, and OD'ed in zee tub. Sounds about right.

But I've read reports about Hendrix's last night detailing the physical unlikelihood of his accepted death (suffocating in own vomit).

• Photo_00020.thumb
    strannikov
    Feb 23, 04:22pm

"The murder theory would bubble back to the surface every five years or so": deft touch, thanks for finding, Sally!

Brian seems to have earned his reputation of not always being his own best friend, nor of being best friend to his confreres (they had motivations to boot him from the band). And true enough, most everyone's head was somewhere else in those heady days (barely five months later at Altamont, an egregious lack of situational awareness overtook the band). And sure, expendability goes with the territory in the world of music and music fashion (some losses can be overcome, some can't: Brian's could).

Mick Taylor and Jimmy Miller both re-made the Stones by returning them to the very roots Brian and Andrew Oldham had launched them from. (Parenthetic plug here for Mikhail Bulgakov, and Byron might also be due a nod.) Brian's slide on "No Expectations" brought sad prophecy full circle, and his recorder on "Ruby Tuesday" still haunts.

Conventions of the 27 Club are likely wild affairs, what with contributions from the likes of Brian, Jimi, Jim, Janis, Mr. Cobain, Pete Ham, and founding member Robert Johnson. For non-members the salutary significance of the 27 Club may consist in its unforgiving demarcation of the upper limits of adolescence.

Dolemite
    Feb 23, 05:56pm

It is kind of funny that with Brian gone they returned to their roots, which he loved, and away from the psychedelic stuff that he hated.

Robert Johnson too, eh?

I did not know that...

Dolemite
    Feb 23, 08:31pm

The realest of the dealest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSjT1JBLnN4

This sounds really cleaned up.

Dolemite
    Feb 23, 08:41pm

The realerest of the dealerest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN2cWWUHa5g

(thanks god for mick taylor)

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Feb 23, 08:49pm

Re Robert Johnson:

"Pioneering blues musician and guitarist. Most likely died from poisoning on August 16, 1938. Widely considered the first member of the '27 Club.'"

Sad.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.