Forum / Submissions advice

• Fb_img_1599064081379.thumb
    Jessie Campbell
    Jul 15, 09:52am

I thought we could share ideas and experiences when it comes to submissions here.

I have a dilemma. I checked out a lit mag online and got so excited, I submitted a short story to it before I received the magazine. Now the magazine has arrived, and it's terrible. The story quality is poor, and there are 4-5 typos per paragraph in the publication. Lesson learned. I can't allow my work to appear in this publication! Now I'm wondering how on earth to withdraw politely since I mentioned nothing about simultaneous submissions in my cover letter. Any advice?

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Jul 15, 04:06pm

I think I'd write to them now and let them know that you'd like to withdraw your submission. You don't have to offer an explanation. It's probably better than waiting for an answer and then withdrawing it in case the story is accepted -- that way, you're saving them work. If they really want to know why, I suppose you could also tell them about your problems with the magazine.

Jessie Campbell
    Jul 17, 03:54pm

I withdrew without supplying a reason. Hopefully they didn't see that as a terrible thing to do. Thanks!

• Bardin7151_4x6.thumb
    Joe Bardin
    Aug 04, 01:08pm

Is anyone familiar with Barcelon Review's inner workings? I submitted a story 6 months ago, going on 7. Have never heard a peep. I've followed up with a couple emails requesting a status update, and heard nothing back. Are they just terrible at correspondence, and could still be considering the piece? Or is this just a total blow-off? Any insights would be much appreciated.

• The-400-blows.thumb
    Brandon Hobson
    Aug 06, 12:33am

Joe, I once submitted a story to BR and never heard back, even after sending emails. This was some time ago, maybe 2002 or 2003. I haven't paid any attention to them since.

• Daviderlewine.thumb
    David Erlewine
    Aug 06, 10:15am

I'm still waiting on a 2002 sub to BR. Unlike Brandon, I have not given up hope. :)

All kidding aside, I haven't subbed to them either after that.

• Nvp_12-16-08_b.thumb
    barry graham
    Aug 06, 02:16pm

hey jessie. i sympathize with your problem here, but im gonna play devil's advocate. i think there's a big problem with writers not thoroughly knowing, checking out, being intimate with the pubications they submit to. you probably should have done your homework before submitting instead of complaining afterwards. im saying this with great respect for you and your work, as i have indeed published an amazing short of yours before, but nonetheless.

• Rg.thumb
    Roxane Gay
    Aug 06, 06:02pm

Submitting to the BR is like hoping that God will answer you when you pray. There is no guarantee you're going to hear a response.

• Bardin7151_4x6.thumb
    Joe Bardin
    Aug 10, 02:29pm

Thanks for the feedback, Brandon, David and Roxane. That helps me know where I stand. Seeing as I'm not a big God person, I'll set my expectations accordingly low.

• Daviderlewine.thumb
    David Erlewine
    Aug 12, 02:13pm

Joe, ha! I'm in the same boat.

Jessie Campbell
    Aug 14, 09:38am

I agree, Barry. Writers should do their homework. My lesson is certainly learned. There is a lot out there.

• Zack_8_28_08_002_small.thumb
    Zack Wentz
    Sep 30, 01:56pm

Same experience re: the Barcelona Review. Subbed '07, queried '08. A very pretty black hole. God is easy enough to get a response out of: just start typing, read it back to yourself, laugh.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.