Forum / Suggestion: comment notifications.

• Frankie Saxx
    Dec 22, 01:14pm

It would be so cool if I got emails when comments were added to my stories because I often forget to check stuff that has been up a while and see if anyone has left a new comment.

Also, it would be cool if I got some kind of notice if there were replies @me in comments on other stories. That would be v. social.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Dec 22, 02:13pm

It seems I got them when I started here. Then they stopped. I was wondering if it was something I'd inadvertently done in the profile edit.

• Frankie Saxx
    Dec 22, 02:30pm

I get them for messages, but I don't think I've ever had one for story comments.

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Dec 22, 04:06pm

They come and go, like the weather. When they are gone, it inhibits our interactions for thanking someone for a comment we never even got to see. It's a very erratic system.

• Photo%2015.thumb
    Gary Hardaway
    Dec 22, 08:48pm

As Gloria says, the notification function comes and goes. It is very handy and I miss the way it breaks up the swarming emails for one idiotic commercial offer after another. As far as I know, it's not a feature one can toggle on and off on purpose or by accident.

• Photo%2015.thumb
    Gary Hardaway
    Dec 23, 12:03am

I just learned something. Go to the fictionaut page that shows when you first open, select "YOU" at the upper right, choose "Manage Account" and scroll down to the Notification section to select email notification options that work best for you. I hope it works!

• Frankie Saxx
    Dec 23, 12:23pm

Awesome, Gary! TY.

• Photo%2015.thumb
    Gary Hardaway
    Dec 23, 04:12pm

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. Better luck (or skill) to others.

• Frankie Saxx
    Dec 23, 06:11pm

I don't currently have any email notifications from Fictionaut, but I assume it's because nobody has commented/wall posted/messaged me since I turned it on.

I will go comment on my own story and see if it works.

• Frankie Saxx
    Dec 23, 06:12pm

Or, I guess someone did and fictionaut didn't. Bummer.

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Dec 23, 06:15pm

I've commented my own stories privately dor years. Positive self regard beats criticism from strangers on any day not just on Christmas. One day I even dreamt that Fictionaut with its hundreds of members had only two actual users: Sigmund Freud and me. it was a nightmare because I had to emulate all the others while Freud sat cross legged crafting his beautiful prose asking disturbing questions. I'm glad there's someone else. Is there? Frankie?

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Dec 24, 03:13am

Marcus, I've done some research and come to the conclusion that there may be only three members, me (and I may only be a bot myself), you/Freud, and Matt Dennison, who represents through one channel, the remaining balance of the entire membership.

Maybe we are none of us real, but only the invention of that clever founder of Fictionaut, Jurgen Fauth, for the purpose of scamming the advertisers.

Happy Kringle all!!!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.