Forum / Where do I report GIANT DISASTEROUS BUGS THAT ATE ALL MY COMMENTS?!!!!

• Frankie Saxx
    Dec 14, 12:32am

Yeah. The title pretty much says it all.

Anyway, I have a story I set to private because I've been archiving my older stuff, a story that was already published and on the main page and had quite a discussion on it, and someone wanted to read it. So I went to make it public again, and Fictionaut told me I couldn't publish another story when I currently had one on the main page, deleted all the comments and set all the counters to zero.

I do not care about the counters but I really, really want my comments back.

• Frankie Saxx
    Dec 14, 12:35am

Oh wait.

I see.

It is not quite as bad as all that.

For some reason it tried to create another identical story sans comments and counters.

I don't understand. It's still a bug. But I am no longer really sad.

Merry Christmas to me.

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Dec 14, 12:39am

I cannot tell you how many times I've panicked about stories of mine that have disappeared that I had inadvertantly deleted myself and were retrievable.

• Frankie Saxx
    Dec 14, 12:55am

This was strange. By trying to move it from private to public, it created a whole new copy.

I left the weirdness intact in case some technical person needs to look at it.

• Frankie Saxx
    Dec 14, 12:56am

Also, typing it out all in capital letters alleviated my panic somewhat. Just in case anyone should ever be faced with a similar situation.

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Dec 14, 03:39am

OK. TOP SECRET. THERE IS ONE IT EXPERT IN THE COMMUNITY WHO CAN FIX ANYTHING BUT IT'S A BIG SECRET so he doesn't get overwhelmed because he also has a full-time job. It's Carson Baker. He's a computer magician. He can fix anything. But don't tell anyone. They can't afford to hire him full time, so he just plugs the dikes. I can't remember how I found him. But he will never answer a computer question on the forum so I assume he wants to stay low key.

• Frankie Saxx
    Dec 14, 04:14am

Oh, this was not a "my fault, I am not good with computers" thing. This was a thing that happened without me doing anything that should have caused it (ie Fictionaut site acted in a strange and non-desirable way in my use case.)

• Frankie Saxx
    Dec 14, 04:19am

It should be reproducible by:

1. making private a posted story
    2. publishing a new story so that it appears on the front page
    3. attempting to change the previously published (ie already been on the front page) story from private to published
    ut with the
    the non desired result would be an error message saying you cannot publish a new story while you have one on the front page and a new version of the old story, without the counters or comments. (The one you were attempting to make public again, with comments and counters, should still exist.)

• Frankie Saxx
    Dec 14, 04:20am

Crap. Stupid touchpad accidental cut and paste and inability to edit.

You guys know what I mean.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Dec 14, 05:45am

Have had something similar past couple months. Mentioned it in the forums and to the Fictionaut oracles, but no response.

I have 7 stories I set to private and when I try to make them public again, get a message saying the story does not exist. All comments/counters gone. Only the story title remains.

Also have 4 'old' stories I've tried to delete, but the titles just won't go away.

If you get a response or some sort of fix, could you post it here please?

I'd like my 7 stories and comments back. Don't want to have to run them all up the flagpole again, but may be the only way - just have to pay folks to recreate their comments...

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Dec 14, 05:49am

I just set my current piece to Private, brought up an old one (well-off the front-page date parameters), and re-set my current piece to Public...

no prab.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Dec 14, 06:04am

That's the weird thing. I have older stories set to private that I can access and reset to public with no trouble. It's just a random set of these few that are affected. If I click the 'edit' button next to the story, the text appears intact (although all comments are gone), but when clicking on the story title itself or the 'save changes' button, get the message that the story doesn't exist, so can't restore it to public. It doesn't make any sense.

Dolemite
    Dec 14, 06:09am

That IS weird.

• Frankie Saxx
    Dec 14, 06:55am

@John Henry do you have a piece currently on the front page? I've had no problem with it before, the only change is having a story on the main page.

Dolemite
    Dec 14, 07:09am

Yep. Set it to Private, re-set old poem to Public, and then re-set current piece to public.

If you want to make a previously-public story accessible once more on your profile page, you must first set whatever you currently have on the main page to Private, then set the old story to "Anyone can see this" (or whatever it says in the edit function), and then re-set your current piece to "Anyone Can See this."

• Frankie Saxx
    Dec 14, 01:22pm

@John Henry

Good workaround. Thanks.

• Yankee.thumb
    Carson Baker
    Dec 14, 08:15pm

Hey guys. Sorry about the bug. Thank you very much Frankie for detailing exactly how to reproduce this. I'll work on doing up a fix for it and update this thread when I get everything patched.

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Dec 14, 08:22pm

Told you. That Carson. He's our guy.

• Frankie Saxx
    Dec 14, 10:16pm

Thanks, Carson.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Dec 15, 12:39am

Awesome, Carson.

Any chance that patch will fix my issue as well?

Dolemite
    Dec 15, 12:42am

NO PATCH FOR YOU!!!

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Dec 15, 12:51am

All your patch are belong to us.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.