Forum / Bukowski?

• 5840_147546682246_746202246_3893644_3974481_n.thumb
    Meghan Acord
    May 02, 05:07pm

anyone on here a fan (or not) of charles bukowski?

• Newimage.thumb
    Marc Nash
    May 02, 05:36pm

Not, prefer Hubert Selby Junior for writing about that realm.

Having said that, I do accord Chick for his 'Barfly' archetype. I assume he was the first to portray such a personality. Mamet et al should acknowledge their debt to him accordingly. I do, though it might annoy the bejesus out of him that my novel's barfly is female, cos Chuck was kinda down on the feminine of the species.

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    May 03, 03:54pm

I am. Have always been since the Black Sparrow days.Drowning in flame, burning in water. He wrote beautifully at times, but was a regular old fart when it comes right down to it. So?Mockingbird wish me luck.He did the work. He put in the hours, the days, the years, the life. One could go through each and every book and cut out some of the most beautiful sentences ever made and make the case for him, but why bother? It's there for the taking.He found beauty everywhere, but he wasn't likely to give up truth on its behalf. Rough. Yeah. Pretty tough stuff for a guy who liked cats, old cars,sex,gambling, classical music and boozing it up.Scaring the shit out of old ladies was just icing on the cake. And oh yeah writing a ton of remarkable and original stuff on a typewriter almost every day of his life.

• Newimage.thumb
    Marc Nash
    May 03, 04:36pm

Interesting point about living the life Darryl. Hemingway, Chuck, Burroughs etc. Doesn't seem hardly possible now in this media/information saturated times. Living like a hermit might now be the only living a life for a writer?

• 2161777446_a91102ea45.thumb
    Matt Dennison
    May 03, 04:45pm

Darryl
    +1

• 5840_147546682246_746202246_3893644_3974481_n.thumb
    Meghan Acord
    May 04, 08:39am

really well-put darryl! marc, i haven't read selby jr but i will now. i guess he's just the only poet i've read in a long time who really fleshed out the thoughts like i'd like to in my own writing but never have...and i have to say i enjoy his flair for the disturbing.

• 3a.thumb
    Walter Bjorkman
    May 04, 11:03am

selby jr preceeded me at my grammar school by some years. On dust jackets it proclaims he graduated from P.S. 102, that's it, no HS or college

• With_ted_3.thumb
    Bill Yarrow
    May 04, 09:17pm

Love reading Bukowski. Don't want to write like him.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.