Forum / Two New Books by Cervena Barva Press. One by Fictionaut Matthew A. Hamilton

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    Jul 13, 04:07pm

Cervena Barva Press Announces a New Chapbook
    "The Land of the Four Rivers"
    My Experience as a US Peace Corps
    Volunteer in Armenia (2006-2008)
    by Matthew A. Hamilton

Matthew is an MFA candidate at Fairfield University and a poetry reader for Mason’s Road and Drunken Boat. Prior to graduate school, he served as a US Peace Corps Volunteer in Armenia (2006-2008) and the Philippines (2008-2010). He is also a former Legislative Assistant on Capitol Hill and a Benedictine Monk.

A 1999 graduate of Belmont Abbey College (BA History) Matthew is currently the librarian at Benedictine College Preparatory, an all-male, Catholic military high school. He lives in Richmond, Virginia.

The Land of the Four Rivers

I crawl out of the plane and walk
    through a terminal that reminds me
    of a prison I once visited in Moscow.
    I smell soviet uniforms pushing people
    out of moldy bread lines.
    I see a black and white picture of two soldiers
    beating a man in the frozen gulag.
    I follow the line from baggage claim
    out into the diesel air packed with greetings
    and logistics, firm handshakes.
    I throw my bag under the bus and take my seat,
    fall asleep as we pull away toward the rising sun.
    I wake up and look out the window.
    Mt. Ararat is protruding
    from the earth like a newborn’s tooth,
    searching for the lost city of Noah,
    the eyes of red delicious.
    I see sun shadows, blue tears
    of Eden dance in fields of cognac
    and gold, the crevices of echoing snow
    and yellow skies nourishing the navel
    of the world.

$7.00 | 42 Pages

Check out Christopher Allen's interview with Matthew:
    Christopher Allen interviews Matthew A. Hamilton on his blog "I Must Be Off"

http://www.imustbeoff.com/#!/2012/05/expat-author-interview-with-matthew.html

Roger W. Hecht grew up in Wheaton, Maryland, in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. His work has been published in Denver Quarterly, Columbia Poetry Review, Mudlark, Diagram, Prick of the Spindle, and other on-line and off-line journals. He was the winner of Syracuse University’s Delmore Schwartz Poetry Award. He is the author of a poetry chapbook, Lunch at the Table of Opposites (Red Dancefloor Press), and editor of The Erie Canal Reader: 1790-1950 (Syracuse University Press). Roger earned an M.F.A. from the University of Arizona and a Ph.D. from Syracuse University. He is currently an Assistant Professor of English at SUNY, College at Oneonta. Roger lives with his wife, Joan Marcus, and two daughters near Ithaca, New York.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Roger W. Hecht’s Talking Pictures is a vivid book of poems which draws us to “....this underworld.” He invites us to have a glance, a look, and then we as readers are deftly taken elsewhere. The taking (and the “talking!”) provides a keen sense of tempo and tone. The poetry is also often comic: in the strangely heroic poem “The Rumsfeld Sestina” (imagine!) the question is raised “What will they do once they catch you?” “You ask me what I knew and when I knew it” (from the same poem) hints at the kind of personal and impersonal worlds and factors which impinge, at least, on all of us. I return to Talking Pictures with pleasure. The variations Hecht employs in the poems’ shapes and cadences intrigue.
    —Michael Burkard, Author of Entire Dilemma and Unsleeping

Roger W. Hecht’s vocal and evocative collection, Talking Pictures, collects all right, is stuffed with stuff. The things (not poems exactly and not so much prose either but some hybrid unbranded entity) collected here have a thing for thing-ness. It is as if Hecht has constructed an elaborate yet elegant filter that slows the speed of light, turning it into a rich syrup, a saturated plasma, and gorgeous chunks of heretofore unknown matter materialize out of the either or ether. Picture that!
    —Michael Martone, Author of Four for a Quarter

$15.00 | ISBN: 978-0-9831041-5-5 | 50 Pages | In Stock

Order online at http://www.thelostbookshelf.com/cervenabooks.html

www.cervenabarvapress.com

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Jul 14, 02:37pm

Well done! Congratulations to all.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 14, 03:01pm

Gloria, thanks for the announcements and for all that you do to advance the work of others.

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    Jul 15, 05:58pm

Thanks so much JP Reese and James.
    I appreciate it!
    Happy summer!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.