Forum / 'Wild: a collection' by Gill Hoffs now published

• Matt004sm.thumb
    Matt Potter
    Jun 14, 02:42am

Pure Slush presents

Wild: a collection

by Gill Hoffs

From mermaids to moors and basements to beaches ... Gill Hoffs takes us on a wild ride through the Yorkshire wilderness to Victorian England, the coasts of Japan, Scotland, and Ireland, a 1920s American train, and a hidden basement, in this collection of fact, fiction, and the half-truths in between.

Preview and order by clicking here:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/gill-hoffs/wild/paperback/product-20190137.html

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Jun 14, 07:42am

In my blurb for this book, I said: "In her tales, Gill Hoff’s unique voice has tamed the wild creating narratives of raw beauty. When I put the book down, I could taste the salt of the green sea on my tongue." For this mini-review, I'd like to add that there's a sweetness here, not just sea salt, which is rather rare these days. Fear and bitterness sells so much better. But Gill's sweetness is of an even rarer kind: it's not sentimental, soccer-mom sweetness, but it's gritty. Gill has gargled with sugar water, spat it out and written well. In this collection, you'll find non-fiction pieces, too which reveal some of the roots of the tales, and the first chapter of her debut novel, The Perfection Of Ten, which begins thus: «The first thing Jericho Comstock did was grab the hemp rope coiled like an ammonite by his feet and jump. Jump high. Jump clear of the towering bulk of the sperm whale’s flukes as it crushed the craft and crew that killed it.» I don't want to analyze this bit to death, but the lyrical tension held here makes me think we're waiting for a winner here. Such a good book.

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Jun 14, 04:33pm

Knowing Gill and her writing, I'm sure this will be a hit and will lead to more!

• Claire_king_mini_(10_of_10).thumb
    Claire King
    Jun 14, 04:58pm

This looks absolutely wonderful, and thanks Marcus for the review insights!

• Updated_bio.thumb
    James Claffey
    Jun 14, 05:09pm

can't wait!

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    Jun 14, 05:47pm

Congratulations! Yeah!

• Img_0568.thumb
    Gill Hoffs
    Jun 15, 12:50pm

Thanks everyone! If you order today and enter the code CRACKED or CRACKEDUK [depending on where you live] then you'll get either 13% [UK] or 20% off your order - so if you felt like reading some brutally funny yet touching flash you could purchase Vestal Aversion by marvellous Matt Potter too for even more of a bargain! Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jun 15, 02:30pm

Gill wishing you Big Congrats and all Good Luck with your debut book!!!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.