Forum / Back up your files

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Mar 21, 11:33pm

As some of you know, last week my computer's hard drive died a rather undignified death. I am one who backs up obsessively - all of my files the first of every month and my daily writing at the end of each day - so I lost absolutely nothing.

I know so many people to whom the word 'back-up' is something only done by vehicles. I pass this experience on as a cautionary tale.

Your words are precious. Save them, protect them, take care of them.

• Untitled_design_-_2024-02-08t014618.097.thumb
    Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Mar 21, 11:53pm

Yes, I send my stuff to myself, archive it in my gmail account. I also have five Sandisks. This is a religion! It's fucking sacred!

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Mar 21, 11:57pm

And what if your house burns down?

(cheery thought)

Meaning: you need something off-site, too.

Emailing files to someone else to store in their doc. files, mailing thumbdrive to someone else, etc.

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Mar 21, 11:59pm

Though I guess that gmail thing would work. I know I lost all of my archived emails (Outlook) when my last computer crashed...

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Mar 22, 12:37am

Investigate Dropbox. The cloud is a savior, but DO NOT upload files quickly. Wait until each is successfully uploaded before you upload another. I did it the first time with irrational exuberance and opened my files on another computer later only to find them empty. Dropbox allows you to access anything on your hard drive from any computer anywhere. It feels odd to me, but it works.

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Mar 22, 02:56pm

I've used SugarSync for about two years now without any problems. Its free, backs up everything automatically and retrieving is simple. Had some problems with DropBox.

https://www.sugarsync.com/

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Mar 22, 06:17pm

Well, and then there's Fictionaut; upload your stuff, make it private, et voila. There's the length limit of course, but for shorter stuff, it seems a good place to stash things, among its other virtues.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.