Forum / Stories marked "Explicit Material"

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Mar 19, 04:58pm

the last feew stories i've read have been marked with a blue box saying: explicit material, etc and offering me the chance to turn away.

i'm curious how this process of deciding what is explicit is operating here at fn'aut?

who could be reading every story and making that choice? I doubt Jurgen has that kind of spare time.

I was quite surprised to see an explicit box for "The Serious Writer and His Penis"-- a story that cirucluated f'naut for several yrs witout any explicit warning.

Basically-- what does it take for a story to become "explicit" here?

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Mar 19, 05:35pm

Perhaps it's marked "explicit" because Nietzsche is mentioned explicitly in that story? Someone should let Finnegan Flawnt know but not me, we're not on speaking terms.

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Mar 19, 06:03pm

Oh which badge to wear? Solidarity/ Oh yes. We're all explicit in that we are speaking our minds at all. Perhaps explicit means you've stepped over some imaginary line gathered up into a dark cloud and spread into a line to mean others without your sentiments are out and about in your neck of the woods? Nah, too mundane. Good writing is good writing. Can't we decide for ourselves if something doesn't quite meet our taste standards?Where's it gonna end? Has anyone thought about the freedoms at stake? I'm sure you have--and that's why were having this silly conversation. Mr. Flawnt always pushed the envelope and often created quite a stir. I thank him for it.I don't know. Like I said it seems silly to tell a writer he or she is being explicit--shouldn't they already be aware of this fact? Too many questions.The only answer is: Good God when did we put the politically correct police in the far corner office and give them a veto pen to use whenever they feel like it? Still too much? Well then jump in and by all means point out the many different perspectives still not represented in the talking here, but remember, who is actually free if no one is actually free?

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Mar 19, 06:04pm

It's probably a computer-generated program that identifies and flags specific words like penis, cock, cunt, etc., Susan. This post will probably be flagged.

Susan Tepper
    Mar 19, 06:14pm

I ahve only seen it here in one case before this, on a story that was rabidly anti-semitic in the worst sense, a story that used violent anti-semtic sex language against Jewish women. A story like that should certainly be flagged as it had no redeeming value and was written very poorly. But are all stories with the words cock, cunt, penis, etc going to get the blue box warning now? That is a tough restriction to impose when these are words that are used freely in other print medium such as the esteemed The New Yorker (to name one). And of course in film those words are bandied about. I would like to know "how" a story gets flagged as explicit.

• Meg%20profile%20pic.thumb
    Meg Tuite
    Mar 19, 06:31pm

This is a strange phenomena and Marcus, you always make me laugh!!! I agree with you, Susan and Darryl. There is enough policing going on out there! If someone doesn't want to read a story they can move on to the next. No need for some flag that states explicit by someone else's standards. Thanks for calling my attention to it, Susan. I didn't even know it was happening. Wow!

Susan Tepper
    Mar 19, 11:17pm

Jurgen or Carson, could you tell us what the guidelines are for "explicit" and how a story falls into that area?

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 20, 02:00am

I go away for a while, come back and find... what? Has the Disney Group made a leveraged move on Fictionaut? Did we get a warning from Rick Santorum? Is this some moral caveat that comes with the advertisements?

Golly! (Not my usual verbal response to things like this, but hey, I don't wanna scare anybody... Yo?). I was just trying to deal with all the changes, the formatting problems, screen freeze on IE, distracting, flashing ads on eye level with posted work... and now we have rated warnings to satisfy... who?

I missed the memo. Are we targetting a new demographic over here? What's happening? How did this happen? What's next? Do I have to sign a pledge? Whaaaat?

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Mar 20, 02:02am

I don't see the explicit notice anywhere. Can someone please point me in the direction of all the explicit stories? Please?

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 20, 02:12am

Hey, maybe it's a hoax. I'll post something and see if it gets a notice. I tend to do the profane at times and I have one old story that might just might prompt the 'blue' medallion if there is one.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 20, 02:23am

Never mind. I can't get the story to format in a readable fashion. (Sigh) Guess it's time to move on.

Susan Tepper
    Mar 20, 04:16pm

As I mentioned above, "The Serious Writer and His Penis" has been marked explicit. If you pull that up you will see.
    If it's a computer program that is targeting certain words, as Joani suggested, I beleivewe need to know.

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Mar 20, 04:51pm

susan is referring to mr flawnt's story which is here btw:

http://www.fictionaut.com/stories/finnegan-flawnt/the-serious-writer-and-his-penis

we must all move on. this obsession with penises and pussies seems to belong to an earlier phase of fictionaut. the end of genital material? what's next?

• Img_0089.thumb
    Gessy Alvarez
    Mar 20, 06:02pm

I don't like this at all...

Susan Tepper
    Mar 20, 07:06pm

I don't think we need to be upset, but we do need clarification on how a story gets marked explicit here. What process makes a story explicit on fictionaut?-- is the question at hand.
    Jurgen or Carson could you jump in here and tell us: are certain words picked up by computer program that pushes story into that explicit box?

• Untitled_design_-_2024-02-08t014618.097.thumb
    Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Mar 20, 07:14pm

Yeah! Why aren't any of MY stories marked with the explicit warning? This pisses me off! I will try harder!

Frank Zappa would puke all over this.

Susan Tepper
    Mar 21, 01:26am

Well, Misti, if the explicit police have missed your stories, then the system is seriously flawed! You are the Queen of Explicit! You def deserve to be pissed off. God Bless Frank Zappa.

• Untitled_design_-_2024-02-08t014618.097.thumb
    Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Mar 21, 02:24am

Haha. The Queen of Explicit. I like that.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.