Forum / how to make an audio recording of short story

• Daviderlewine.thumb
    David Erlewine
    Mar 04, 08:39am

hey all, anyone have any tips on how i make an mp3 of me reading a short story? i've resisted learning but now need to figure it out (much like i resisted the move from wp to word) pronto.

thanks,
    a philistine among scholars

• 2734896685_cccc347f0a_b.thumb
    Kevin Myrick
    Mar 04, 10:02am

David,

http://podcastfreeamerica.com/features/entry/the-real-beginners-guide-to-podcasting/

That's what I'd suggest reading. You're going to need some audio recording software, a microphone of some sort, and about an hour's worth of time.

-Kev

• Daviderlewine.thumb
    David Erlewine
    Mar 04, 11:32am

Excellent, thank you Kevin.

• 2161777446_a91102ea45.thumb
    Matt Dennison
    Mar 04, 12:49pm

"Audacity" is a free recording studio. Quick download.

• Daviderlewine.thumb
    David Erlewine
    Mar 04, 12:56pm

Oh great, thanks Matt. I did a bit of ol' Googling earlier and saw the reference to Audacity but my eyes sort of glazed over, a fairly common occurrence. Thanks for the help.

• Flawntnewsmall.thumb
    Finnegan Flawnt
    Mar 05, 06:40am

audacity is somewhat hard. i recommend (for shorts anyway) apple quick time especially when you're on a mac. iTunes then converts any .mov file into an .mp3 for you. that's what i do anyway. and then you do what i did and become an iTunes podcaster: http://bit.ly/91HEfX - rest assured you'll be a lot more popular being better looking and all.

still, it'd be great if you leave a review or a rating for me on iTunes, as a friend.

• Daviderlewine.thumb
    David Erlewine
    Mar 05, 07:03am

Finnegan, I've got a dell laptop, not a mac. Still recommend I go the apple quick time route? And, ha, I've never been popular. The current word is that my 3:AM Mag picture resembles Harold Ramis in the Ghostbusters. I've heard that comment quite a few times in private Zoetrope offices. Better than Skippy from Family Ties I guess.

Thanks, really, for your input. Greatly appreciated. If I can figure this stuff out, I'll most certainly rate/review you on iTunes.

Kevin Myrick
    Mar 05, 03:40pm

David, Audacity might be a little difficult to figure out at first, but it isn't too bad once you figure out what does what to sound. I personally love Adobe Soundbooth (quite expensive, unfortunately) which used to be Adobe Audition.

I'd say if you're looking to do this quick and dirty, use the sound recorder built-in to Windows. (programs/accessories/sound recorder (might be under audio tools if you use anything Windows XP and lower.)

With a decent headset microphone and practicing reading the story a few times beforehand, you could easily do it in the time it takes to read you a story. Audio files will unfortunately have to be converted from WMA to MP3, but that is done easily.

I'm available for help if you need it, by the way.

Kevin Myrick
    Mar 05, 03:40pm

PS - You do have a Harold Ramis look about you.

• Self_portrait.thumb
    eamon byrne
    Mar 05, 05:09pm

I've used audacity. But here's another idea. A cheap usb mike (coupla bucks). Windows. Just get it to read it back to you. Will sound like the voiceover man with a lobotomy speaking from a diving bell. But you can ramp it up to warp speed if you want, make it sound like a chipmunk on phets. Guaranteed to give you a whole new perspective on your work.

• Daviderlewine.thumb
    David Erlewine
    Mar 13, 01:27pm

Thanks everybody for helping with this. Greatly appreciated.

• Flawntnewsmall.thumb
    Finnegan Flawnt
    Mar 14, 09:50am

looking forward to listening, david! i've also used a phillips dictaphone (digital voice recorder) - any of them digital wonders will USB into your machine and give you an mp3 straight from yer throat.

• White.thumb
    Michael Dickes
    Mar 16, 09:23am

There is lots of software available, but some of it is too complicated for your purposes. Adobe Audition is fairly simple and comes with a great tutorial. It used to be called Cool Edit Pro and used copies are available on the internet. One tip: record at the sample rate of 44,1 then save as an mp3 320 kbps 44,1 Stereo

• You must log in to reply to this thread.