Forum / POV How do you know?

• Gina Perales
    Jan 27, 10:51am

I'm struggling with a story right now and it has to do with writing it in first person or third. How do you know which to choose. I don't want to get too far into writing it and then change my mind. I'd like to hear some thought processes when writing short stories. Thanks.
    G

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jan 27, 12:55pm

It really depends on which way the voice sounds better to the author. I've written stories and novels both ways. 3rd person pov gives more "distance" whereas 1st person is very "up close and personal." In first person, it is: I this, I that. In 3rd person, the author is kind of stepping back a bit from the story. Though some people like to use "close 3rd person" which is closer to first person pov. I don't say this to confuse you, but it's another choice when using 3rd person. You might look it up in some writing books, or perhaps on the web to get a more detailed explanation of "close 3rd person" and hopefully they will give some examples.

• 000_0969.thumb
    H-M Brown
    Jan 27, 05:27pm

Let me throw in a few bits.

POV in first person will always be the narrator. When it comes to first person you never really jump character to character like in third person. Think of it like this, in First Person POV, the narrator will not know what was going on in the room next door, until either the narrator points it out after learning what happened, or the narrator literally walks through the door and sees the situation first hand. Then you see from the first person narrators point of view of what he saw. How you present that in your story is up to you.

Third person on the other hand is a bit of a beast. This is because you are looking from the outside in, as opposed to the first person, which you see from the inside out. When you pick your main character, that you will give readers his or her POV, you will find yourself typing, "Jun said" "Jun cried" "Jun felt the wind blow past her hair", these are all from Jun's POV. Jun becomes an investment to the reader because you're telling readers this is what Jun is experiencing.

Now of course because Third Person can allow Scene Jumping, you can get other characters POV, but do not forget your main character is Jun. This is because Jun is the one who will go through more changes than the other characters in the story. You established that this is Jun's life and what she sees and experiences is going to be from her POV.

Scene jumping to other POVs for me personally, is just to allow readers a little more insight for the supporting characters, (Somthing first person can't do) and their thoughts on the whatever situation they face. But don't dedicate too much on them or they become the main character and Jun is lost in the story, or become irrelavent(SP?).

• 000_0969.thumb
    H-M Brown
    Jan 27, 05:27pm

Let me throw in a few bits.

POV in first person will always be the narrator. When it comes to first person you never really jump character to character like in third person. Think of it like this, in First Person POV, the narrator will not know what was going on in the room next door, until either the narrator points it out after learning what happened, or the narrator literally walks through the door and sees the situation first hand. Then you see from the first person narrators point of view of what he saw. How you present that in your story is up to you.

Third person on the other hand is a bit of a beast. This is because you are looking from the outside in, as opposed to the first person, which you see from the inside out. When you pick your main character, that you will give readers his or her POV, you will find yourself typing, "Jun said" "Jun cried" "Jun felt the wind blow past her hair", these are all from Jun's POV. Jun becomes an investment to the reader because you're telling readers this is what Jun is experiencing.

Now of course because Third Person can allow Scene Jumping, you can get other characters POV, but do not forget your main character is Jun. This is because Jun is the one who will go through more changes than the other characters in the story. You established that this is Jun's life and what she sees and experiences is going to be from her POV.

Scene jumping to other POVs for me personally, is just to allow readers a little more insight for the supporting characters, (Somthing first person can't do) and their thoughts on the whatever situation they face. But don't dedicate too much on them or they become the main character and Jun is lost in the story, or become irrelavent(SP?).

• 000_0969.thumb
    H-M Brown
    Jan 27, 05:28pm

Oh dear, how did that double happen?

Sorry everyone, I hope someone knows how to remove one of the posts.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jan 28, 11:37am

May I suggest 2 books written in 3rd person: "The Beet Queen" by Louise Erdrich which is written 3rd person in multiple pov's. And "Hearts" by Hilma Wolitzer is a good book to read for 3rd person. Both are older books that you could purchase inexpensively from an online seller. These writers use 3rd person extremely well and their prose styles are straightforward and uncomplicated. Hope this helps somewhat

• Gina Perales
    Feb 01, 04:11pm

Thank you everyone for your insights. I really think this piece needs to be written in first person, after careful consideration. I began to write it in "close personal third" as Susan mentioned. And so far it's been through the main character's eyes and not from any other minor character and H-M mentioned. And as far as I can see, this piece will be only from her side of the story. So, thanks everyone. I will head back and rewrite and use more of a voice. I'm just anxious to write something in third person. I don't think I ever have.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.