Forum / Grant's F Word

• Richter.thumb
    M.H.
    Jul 24, 05:36pm

Who is reading or has read Granta's F Word? Luna Park wants your critical response pieces. We want to know what you think - what is feminist writing? Did you find it interesting? Boring? Provocative? Irrelevant? Groundbreaking? How would you read the contributions on their own? Send 300-500 words to lunaparkonline@gmail.com or marcelleheath@yahoo.com by September 1st.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jul 24, 07:06pm

Marcelle could you please post the link to Granta's F Word, thanks

Susan Tepper
    Jul 24, 07:16pm

Oh, sorry, GRANT'S F word. Sorry Granta! Well I still would love the link since I'm clueless on this issue.

• Richter.thumb
    M.H.
    Jul 24, 08:51pm

Sure, here's the link:

http://www.granta.com/Magazine/115

Susan Tepper
    Jul 24, 09:12pm

I read the Lydia Davis story and cannot, for the life of me, understand HOW this story could be tagged Feminist writing??? Unless it is meant as satirical???
    What am I missing here?

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Jul 24, 09:53pm

"The F Word explores the ways in which feminism continues to inform, address and complicate that balance"...okay. We can all agree with that bit. We can even choose sides. I choose "complicate" because that is more organic to me and implies a continuation of struggle. But to me,feminism is only a start to begin to address everything that is wrong,or wrong-hearted,or wrong-headed,or simply misguided in our world. Men and women are vastly different interpreters of the human experience, but how could it be otherwise? Both have shown great courage when needed,and allowed for sacrifice in the course of changing things for the better.History proves both genders have served the greater good. But if Feminism serves only itself it ensures its own failure. But it's never been for the betterment of just one gender that ends up working out well. Why? Because it's all connected to being here together.And yes that includes the animals and all the stars in all the skies above. Feminism I think must be about us being true to our feminine balance within all else that is true to our nature, so that we,together,can be happy,peaceful,and continue to grow always a better life everywhere for everyone,one that includes everything,all issues,all concerns,in all fairness.

• Richter.thumb
    M.H.
    Jul 24, 10:46pm

Susan - If I had to guess, I think the narrator's complicity in the mistreatment of women in the story is supposed to implicate both women and men in women's subjugation...

Darryl - thanks for the call for peace & connection with all. For me, everyone suffers when women are not afforded the same rights and privileges as men.

Susan Tepper
    Jul 24, 11:12pm

Marcelle & Darryl, thank you both for your insightful comments. I felt bewildered reading it, but you've both given me some clarity and I appreciate! Since I seem to be disconnected or thick on the subject matter, I think I'll stay out of the conversation on LP for everyone's benefit!!! Cheers!

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Jul 24, 11:30pm

I went to read the Davis piece after reading Susan's response to it. It reads for me like Browning's "My Last Duchess" in that the speaker is much less aware of the impact of her words (like the dramatic monologue) on her audience than the reader is. Her complaints and problems make her far less sympathetic than she herself would like to think she is. The piece seems to be an implicit condemnation of women of a certain class who not only feel entitled to ordering around "the inside help," also women for the most part, but also a snide sideways comment on women who choose not to be self-sustaining or capable on their own. She's an extremely unlikable woman who plays at helplessness without a second thought and who should learn to wait on her own damned self (as they say in the south where mint juleps are NOT served...). This is about those women who choose not to become self-actualized and those others who must act out in small rebellions against their oppressor(s) just to maintain their dignity.

• Richter.thumb
    M.H.
    Jul 25, 03:37am

Thanks Susan and JP for your comments - JP, I like your analogy a lot. If either of you are interested in contributing a short piece for Luna Park, I'd love to read it!

Susan Tepper
    Jul 25, 10:38am

Joani's analysis is excellent and put the whole story in perspective for me. I admire Davis' writing and that story threw me but now I (duh) get it..

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Jul 25, 01:32pm

"This is about those women who choose not to become self-actualized and those others who must act out in small rebellions against their oppressor(s) just to maintain their dignity."..perfectly put. Unfortunately it is the story of people everywhere. There comes a point at which one must act by speaking truth to power, if that is all you've got. Dance I think has proven to be a powerful voice in this arena. It takes a chance everytime it happens. Women have used it for centuries as a kind of code to say I love my body, I am not ashamed of my body, I embrace my body,I am happy to be in my body. Of course the opposite is true dance can perform great sadness,too. It can tell the oppressor just how much it hurts to be seen as only a body.The dignity is in not being afraid or ashamed of who you are just because a bunch of idiots didn't get the real love memo.Dance and other forms of art like poetry and short stories pass on this secret message quite beautifully and courageously.They become a model. A totem. A place. A touchstone.

• Image.thumb
    Ivan Reyes
    Jul 29, 04:48pm

I think Darryl's touched on something akin to an ultimate truth. Perhaps, an ultimate question, rather. The -isms are a clever shroud on the part of the politicians, the king's, the blessed mombers of that happy contingent which steers the bulk of humanity, and erects the structures -- social and physical -- in which we bustle like ants. Isms are distractions; but they are also obstacles deserving clean obliteration. So, yes, Feminism is terrible but I am no Feminist, same as I am not a Racist (semantics, ughh); it cannot only serve itself, else it goes gluttonous, as isms tend to do when they are not used, and deftly discarded for a higher understanding of our world, and our role in it -- this two-tone marble is the only one we got. I've gotten a bit off-topic here...

But these branches all lead back to one root.

And, after all that, I'm embarrassed to say I haven't read the pieces. I'll read them at home tonight, I'm sure I'll enjoy them. I enjoy all focused stabs at -isms. Stabism. My religion and universe composed of one man.

• Image.thumb
    Ivan Reyes
    Jul 29, 05:01pm

If I may reiterate just a bit, I meant no disrespect to anyone part of that cause; I respect those rebels wholeheartedly, and it is an issue deserving everyone's full attention. I hope this supplements and clarifies my other statement.

• Image.thumb
    Ivan Reyes
    Jul 29, 05:10pm

fem·i·nism/ˈfeməˌnizəm/Noun: The advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

rac·ism/ˈrāˌsizəm/Noun: The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races

Doh!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.