Forum / Does an MFA matter?

• 2734896685_cccc347f0a_b.thumb
    Kevin Myrick
    Jan 16, 07:19pm

Dear fellow Fictionauters,

I've noticed in the profiles of some of my fellow authors out there that you have MFA's in creative writing from one place or another.

I find the whole idea of graduate school fascinating; I could see myself writing the great American novel in some program. Unfortunately I will likely never have the financial resources at my disposal in the next few years to do so.

But with a changing world where anyone can be the next great literary mind, do MFA's even matter anymore if you don't want to go into teaching? (I don't ever see myself as the armchair professor wearing a tweed jacket with leather patches.)

Would love to hear opinions on this.

-Kevin Myrick

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Jan 16, 07:32pm

Write your f'g ass off, but you've gotta go fast. Writers aren't young anymore.

Get financing.

All best.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jan 17, 09:43am

So many pros and cons to this issue of MFA or not to MFA. As an editor at two mags, I can say honestly that it didn't make a whole lot of difference in the quality of the writing we received. And there are an awful lot of MFA writers who never get published and never get a lucrative book deal. But there are plenty that do get all that. MFA programs are great for networking. If you are very talented, then you've got the double-whammy going for you. But if you are a so-so writer, then you've spent a hell of a lot of money for little to no return. Want to make money in today's market? Write non-fiction with a sexy edge. I know former fiction writers who've done that simply to make some bucks. It worked for them. For us die-hard fiction writers, we have to sweat out this crappy market and hope things get better.

• Raven.thumb
    Andrew Bowen
    Jan 18, 06:50am

Get the Pocket MFA. And yeah, write your ass off.

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    Jan 18, 10:18am

If you want to teach, then you need to have an MFA.
    It is really not necessary to have one otherwise unless you need help with your craft. I know many great writers who don't have an MFA.

• Img_1363.thumb
    Sarah Long
    Jan 19, 05:28pm

I agree with Gloria--an MFA is crucial if you want to teach. But I am actually halfway through my MFA and I don't particularly want to teach...I just wanted the extra "school time" with mentors, deadlines, etc. and was lucky enough to have the means to take advantage.

But one of the best mentors I've ever had (a graduate of Irvine and a prolific novelist) is constantly drilling into his students' heads that it's not so much the innate talent that makes a writer successful, it's the discipline and perseverance.

So MFA or not, as long as you are tirelessly dedicated to your writing, that's what really counts.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.