Forum / TV faves(cont.)

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jul 03, 01:59pm

James,
    Point for point, your analysis of "Justified," was right and an interesting gloss of the fine line, which Americans tend quickly to cross, between self-defense and Macho violence.

I do agree with the several who mentioned it, that "The Wire," was great art, a sprawling, novelistic treatment so rooted in reality it was hard to tease out how artful it really was, how good the acting, how authentic the milieu and behaviour, how deep the social and moral criticism. It's really one for the ages, and I don't expect anything again to ever measure up.

• Innis_author_photo.thumb
    Julie Innis
    Jul 03, 02:32pm

David - have you seen Treme? Same writers as The Wire, I think. I am impressed with the level of storytelling of many these newer series available only on cable (which I don't have and so am forced to wait until seasons are released on DVD).

• Dsc01252new.thumb
    Jules Archer
    Jul 03, 04:06pm

I love the Tudors, just bought the 3rd season in fact, yesterday. Other faves: Dexter, True Blood...

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jul 03, 04:21pm

Just started watching 'Treme' by the same David Simon and Ed Burns writer/producer/director team and it is really good. We get it via Netflix also, so are always behind. The team above also was responsible for 'Homicide,' another much earlier winner with some of the same virtues as 'The Wire,' if not the same depth and breadth. The cast of 'Homicide,' was unparalled by the way with Andre Braugher, Melissa Leo, and Ned Beatty and a half dozen other premier players who're still around. I agree cable has represented something of a renaissance for dramatic tv where the networks seem largely buried in series whose shelf life has long since expired( CSI's, Law and Orders) and 'reality' (ugh) tv.

One might mention 'In Treatment,' and 'Weeds' as mostly interesting, by the way. I watch most of these in bunches,from Netflix to allay any accusations of tv addiction( I only smoke in the morning and then in moderation.)

• Img_0568.thumb
    Gill Hoffs
    Jul 05, 10:35pm

It's taken two days to summon the courage to admit that yes, I used to really REALLY enjoy 'Murder She Wrote' - mainly because it was so genial of manner and featured a professional writer. Same for 'Diagnosis Murder', with its shameless nepotism. Tried to watch 'Castle' for the same reason but couldn't get into it despite really liking Nathan Fillion in 'Firefly'.

Okay, you can chuck me out now. The door's that way? I won't let it hit me on the way out.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 06, 11:20am

"Carnivàle" and "Deadwood" were amazing, original and even somewhat deliciously bizarre, "Carnivàle" especially. I am always intrigued by carnival & circus settings, exposed as I was to carnie people as a teenager. And "Deadwood" brought out some of the better mythology surrounding the frontier West, giving beautiful twists to the character of the 'heroes' thereof. I was disappointed they were not continued, but not at all surprised. American TV audiences are fickle enough, but the production machinery may be even more eccentric, following skewed demographic studies that totally ignore the effects of TiVo on the statistics.

Cannot get into 'reality' TV. It gives me the shivers. It may be the concept, but it's most certainly the content.

I did enjoy the bleak setting, fantastic characterization and the marvelous exposition style of "The Killing" on AMC. I do hope that the series continues.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jul 06, 01:33pm

There's great tv and then there's guilty pleasures( 'Survivor' anyone?). I'll cop to 'Murder She Wrote,' Gill, just to share your guilt--probably saw every episode.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Jul 06, 01:54pm

Favorite television shows: The Twilight Zone (original), Outer Limits (original), Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Andy Griffith Show, The Paper Chase, Twin Peaks, NCIS, House

Sam Rasnake
    Jul 06, 01:55pm

Forgot to list Justified & Mad Men

• Nuclearman2_1_.thumb
    Christian Bell
    Jul 06, 02:37pm

I'm glad to see David mentioned "Homicide," one of my all-time favorites. My full disclaimer is that I am a lifelong Baltimore/near Baltimore resident. But as David mentions, the cast was solid, with even the not well known players being quite good.

Sam mentions the original "Twilight Zone" series and I'll second that as well. If you're into writing literary speculative fiction, you'd do well to watch these shows and absorb. Always fun to see some of the guest stars as well.

Other shows that I love include Cheers, Frasier, and Taxi. Excellent casts and great comedic writing.

As you can see from what I've mentioned so far, I'm sorely out of touch with what's new in episodic television. Blame it on having kids and just not liking "reality" shows and talent competitions. ESPN's "30 for 30" series, though, is something exceptional. Many are worth watching, I think, even if sports aren't your thing.

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Jul 06, 03:06pm

Just finished watching the last few episodes of "Breaking Bad" from last year to refresh my memory for new season start this month. Forgot how intense and creative this show is. Absolutely my favorite, followed by "Justified", and okay laugh all you want "The Good Wife". I am tired of "Mad Men". Loved "Chicago Code" but of course that was cancelled. As JLD mentioned, "The Killing" on AMC is outstanding.

• Franklin Goodish
    Jul 06, 05:19pm

Huzzzzzzzzah, James. Deadwood is amazing and INSANELY underappreciated.

I really liked season 1 of the Good Wife, too, very funny stuff and good acting.

Breaking Bad season 4 should be incredible.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jul 06, 05:49pm

MaryAnne, those are all good ones. I like HOUSE. I'm HOUSE addicted.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 06, 06:00pm

Old TV ... Ernie Kovacs did a series called "Silents please." He showed clips of some brilliant silent movies, but also presented "blackouts" which were sometimes comedic, but sometimes artful, short video representations of scene with classical music in the background. It was not merely entertaining, but extremely avant garde for its time.

The Good Wife is well written and I watch it with MaryAnne, so laugh all you want. Also curiously fond of Project Runway and don't care who knows it.

Looking forward to Breaking Bad.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jul 06, 06:21pm

I used to like Runway when the clothes were still sort of normal, and often quite beautiful, but now they got too far out for my taste so I got bored with it.

• Img_0568.thumb
    Gill Hoffs
    Jul 06, 07:42pm

I quite like Biggest Loser, because it's quite fascinating watching people work so hard and visibly change their lives. I applaud them as I sit on the sofa with chocolate in one hand and ice cream in the other.

Sam Rasnake
    Jul 06, 10:01pm

Completely forgot Ernie Kovacs, James. Thanks for the reminder. The Naairobi Trio rules a part of my world.

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Jul 06, 11:28pm

I too loved "Deadwood" and "Carnivàle" but they are gone, JLD, and they are never, ever coming back. I used to love "Dexter" but I'm sort of over that, like I'm really over "Mad Men", otherwise known as "Bleak House". Some of these shows overstay their welcome and continue on long after the creative juices have begun to sour. The ones I miss the most are the ones that are gone too soon. Can't see this happening with "Breaking Bad" but who knows?

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Jul 06, 11:29pm

PS It's nice when you old guys get together and talk about shows I'm too young to remember. Ernie Kovacs???

• Franklin Goodish
    Jul 07, 12:38pm

Mad Men is great, especially scenes with one Roger Sterling, author of the brilliant "Sterling's Gold."

• Franklin Goodish
    Jul 07, 12:40pm

Dexter Season 4 was wonderful. Season 5 was blah. I'm not sure if had anything to do with the fact that I watched Season 4 via DVD over a manic one-week period and then "caught up" so I had to wait a week between episodes of Season 5 episodes. I had a similar experience with "The Wire." I felt Season 5 was a bit trite and pat, compared to the other seasons. Of course, I majored in Journalism and worked for a few newspapers...so the newsroom scenes felt a bit hackneyed to me for a number of reasons. In any event, the voice overs in Dexter sometimes feel insulting.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.