Forum / my article on "risk" in the review review

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    May 08, 05:12pm

I wrote this article about taking "risk" in writing. There is a lot of risk-taking here at Fictionaut! Thought you might enjoy the piece.

http://thereviewreview.net/publishing-tips/risk-taking-writer-successful-writer

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    May 08, 05:29pm

Great advice, Susan, a must read. I agree completely, the best things often coming when one has no idea where one is going, like building a bridge over a chasm with bricks you conjure up moment by moment.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    May 08, 05:54pm

Wonderful essay, Susan. Really like " In these times of the fast read, flash, micro-fiction, shorter novels, Kindles and Nooks and vastly reduced attention spans, the writer has to get it onto the page fast." Yes.

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    May 08, 05:55pm

Excellent piece, Susan. I'm going to assign it the next time I teach creative nonfiction (I don't teach fiction) as I think the principle applies there, as well. And I also feel vindicated in my promotion of (students might say "harping on") The Sentence. Yes, there is the big picture, the whole, the (god help us)sacred IDEA. But we get to the big picture, the whol sentence by sentence. And if the sentences aren't great (and they can be great), our interest flags, we begin to skim, we close the magazine or book.

Susan Tepper
    May 08, 08:44pm

David, yes, I love the spotaneous writing that comes seemingly "out of nowhere." Glad you liked the piece!

Sam, so happy you enjoyed this article. Had so much fun writing it!

Jane, I'm honored you would want to assign it. Thank you! It's my belief that the risk-factor is crucial to all artists and all forms.

• Photo_on_1-21-15_at_3.05_pm.thumb
    Kathy Fish
    May 08, 08:47pm

Very good essay, Susan, and I could not agree more.

Susan Tepper
    May 08, 08:48pm

Also want to thank Gloria Mindock and Marcus
    Speh for the comments they left on the site, very kind!

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    May 08, 08:50pm

Excellent article, Susan. It's so true and yet we all need that kick sometimes to make us take the leap.

Susan Tepper
    May 08, 08:50pm

Kathy! We just crossed thru the airwaves! Very glad you liked this, though not surprised since you are one of the riskiest writers working today.

Susan Tepper
    May 08, 08:52pm

Susan Gibb-- ditto what I just wrote to Kathy!
    I think we're so lucky here at Fictionaut to be able to read, on a daily basis, moment by moment, some of the best and most risky work being done by writers today.

• Photo_on_1-21-15_at_3.05_pm.thumb
    Kathy Fish
    May 08, 08:52pm

That's so nice of you to say. I do love stretching and taking risks and find you and your writing such an inspiration, Susan. What you do with voice, in your very short pieces, is phenomenal.

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    May 08, 08:57pm

really enjoyed this non-fiction piece, especially the remarks on the genesis of "deer" in there. creativity and risk go together well. those who try to play it safe may not ever get a full look at the bottom of their own well, though there's sure space for all kinds and types in this world.

• Mewells.thumb
    Mike Lynch
    May 09, 04:24pm

nice article susan!

• 0804d24.thumb
    Matthew A. Hamilton
    May 11, 12:22pm

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.