PDF

Literate Reply


by S.H. Gall


Problems With Literature and its Antithesis.




People love to feel smart and in the know, and what better way to do so than to praise a story which is intentionally obscure. To wit:


"I love how the man's hair is compared to an oven mitt in Dachau. Fabulous!"


"The metaphor for 'chrysalis' as a bass fiddle with no strings and a small pistol" is so profoundly smart, and on the mark!


"Love how you make the boots to moths analogy really emotionally resonate. I cried."


"Reading your work, I feel my innards writhing. It could be construed as nausea but I read it as awe."


"The way you have humanized, or should I say Americanized, that euphemism moved me in ways I never imagined possible."


"Where did you get your genius? Is it bottled? Can I get it from my local apothecary?" Yes, I said apothecary. You have broadened my vocabulary.


"Men throughout history have tried to embody this kind of emotional honesty. I am not a man, but I put all my faith in you."


"Simply brilliant. Consider my life changed. I will never scratch your back in an exchange ever again."



Seth Gall has had work published in China, Canada, and the U.S.  His work has appeared in Word Riot, SmokeLong Quarterly, and Nanoism.  He is S.H. Gall in decomP Magazine, Nanoism, issues one and 27 of SmokeLong Quarterly, Five Star Literary Stories, and Fictionaut.
Endcap