PDF

The Breakup -- I was Always Yours, You Were Never Mine


by Linda Seccaspina


She inserted ‘The Wizard of Oz' once again into the DVD player while she waited for the phone to ring. Tears were streaming down her face remembering the months that her heart had been full of joy. Love had always been hard for her to receive and she could never understand why. 


Most people were afraid to get involved in her personal life. She admitted she lived in shark infested waters and it was not to be entered into lightly. Feeling like she was Rapunzel most of the time all she wanted was a Prince Charming to save her from the tower and those damn sharks. Was it too much to ask she asked herself? Damsels in distress were always rescued in books, so why not in real life? 


One cold winter's day she met what she thought was the love of her life. He had everything going for him but his age. You see the sweet young thing was a lot younger than her. One might say that she had lived many lives before he had been born.


She never thought twice about the difference in age. Love to her was spontaneous, free and not something to be categorized. For months they were involved in a love story that others would frown on if it had ever come to light. It seemed to be a wondrous, delicious, never ending love story that consumed her total body like fire. Never once was age mentioned, as this was not part of their love story that knew no boundaries.



There was nothing but words of longing and tender touches when they were together. He made her think that their love affair was never ever going to end. How dare anyone try to stop it, but one day someone did.


A family member somehow found out and told the young man to end it before anyone got hurt. For days and then weeks he tried but he just could not seem to do it. You see he felt the same way as she did and thought they would be together forever. Suddenly there were many tears, angry words and then fear set into his soul. It was a feeling so great that he felt he could no longer handle it any longer.


One day he suddenly stopped coming to see her and she knew. She understood that his love for her might still rest in his heart, but his actions dictated that something else was filling his mind. Day after day she cried and the nights were the worst. There was nothing but longing and heartbreak with only the silent dark to entertain her. 



After hundreds of frantic calls one afternoon he finally picked up the phone. His voice was dark, terse, and he kept repeating that he could no longer see her. Through her tears she pleaded to see him one just more time. After what seemed an endless lost moments on the phone he agreed; one last time. He would come to her at 11:45 pm the next day.


For hours that night as she waited she knew that she would never see him again. Frantic calls to him got no answer and she knew their love was never to be again. In the distance Dorothy from 'The Wizard of Oz'  was telling Toto there was no place like home. She sighed realizing that she now had no home, no love, and a completely broken heart. The tears flowed from her eyes as she looked at his picture and sobbed uncontrollably.

Her young man was never seen or heard from him again, and to this day she wonders if he still remembers her and if he is happy. For six months he was her everything until the world of reality finally collided fifteen minutes before Valentine's Day ended. She had to force herself to realize there was no point in holding onto someone that has already let you go and what really was going to hurt the most were the memories.

Endcap