Discussion → D'x'd (title for anthology instead?)

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Aug 07, 09:13pm

Prose poems, short stories, short poems, short essays, flash fiction, short memoir stories. (Carol Novack coined the term for my work "memfic," is that the greatest? Memfic.) A collection of creative works alongside brief autobiograhpical accounts of our understandings of the terms. I can edit. Send your best efforts to the group, and consider this idea.

• Untitled_design_-_2024-02-08t014618.097.thumb
    Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Aug 08, 06:09pm

I love the idea, Ann.

Ann Bogle
    Aug 15, 04:49pm

My M ILLNESS focus is on writers with d'x's. In fact, I hope to produce an anthology of fiction and prose poetry called D'x'd. I haven't worked out the details yet, whether aesthetics (experimental) will play in or whether it will be a theme-based anthology, but I am less enthused about theme-based anthologies. I feel that diagnosis with mental illness has not provided a satisfying social basis though it may be shared within a support group. Literature is my neighborhood. I detect that there is a bias against d'x's within academic circles. It is so unlike the 50s in American poetry where the poets were all patients at MacLeans. A woman poet-scholar wrote to WOMPO (Women's Poetry Listserv) that she was putting together a proposal for a panel at AWP about famous writers and poets who had been hospitalized in their lifetimes. Janet Frame, for example, and the confessional poets. It seemed to me that she had no interest in living writers and poets who may be d'x'd. I keep thinking that in other epochs, d'x mattered less in evaluating the writing than it matters today. Shunning is a theme today.

Thanks, Misti, you're in if it flies.

Ann Bogle
    Feb 10, 04:50am

Here's the hospital link, for those who crave immediate, literary psychiatric care: http://www.mclean.harvard.edu/

Ann Bogle
    May 31, 06:54am

774 DDX

Tonight I passed him. He drove 60 mph in the furthest left lane. I ended up in the middle lane then in the furthest right lane, of four or five, going 80, on 394 West, not my usual motoring speed. His plate: Minnesota, 774 DDX. I decided that that will be our anthology title, and he, driving 60 going "home," rich man from another State, no doubt, toward Orono, Minnesota, can buy a personal plate to evade us.

CALL FOR _D'X'D_ SUBMISSIONS.

Reply to: annbogle1@aol.com

Ann Bogle
    May 31, 07:03am

Posted now on Facebook:

Call for submissions: D'X'D people anthology, people who feel and have felt deeply d'x'd, any subject, any form, not "mental illness" as a theme, in stories and other genres:

774 DDX

Tonight I passed him. He drove 60 mph in the furthest left lane. I ended up in the middle lane then in the furthest right lane, of four or five, going 80, on 394 West, not my usual motoring speed. His plate: Minnesota, 774 DDX. I decided that 774 DDX will be our anthology title, and he, the man driving 60 going "home," rich man from another State, no doubt, toward Orono, Minnesota, can buy a personal plate to evade us.

CALL FOR _D'X'D_ SUBMISSIONS.

Reply to: annbogle1@aol.com

http://fictionaut.com/groups/m-illness/threads/1654

Ann Bogle
    Jun 12, 04:34pm

I received two welcome submissions following this call. Please consider submitting and adding to an ongoing discussion of criteria for inclusion in such a book. Thanks for your involvement.

• You must be logged in to reply.