Discussion → Andrew Michael Roberts - The Inconspicuous Beginning of Our Disappearance

• Rain.thumb
    Cami Park
    Sep 20, 07:11am

Here's one I mentioned on my blog at the time, talking about the issue of Quick Fiction 15 I had just received in the mail-- I love the first sentence of Andrew Michael Roberts' story, The Inconspicuous Beginning of Our Disappearance, which reads thusly: “This was the year they found owls wound in twine at the bases of burned-out trees and the river’s mouth stuffed with girls who’d kissed its mirror and drowned in their complicated names.”

Of course, rest of the story has to live up to the promise of the first line-- this one does, plenty.

Post link, for the sake of completion: http://oddcitrus.wordpress.com/2009/06/23/quick-fiction-15/

• Garson2.thumb
    Scott Garson
    Sep 20, 08:46am

yeah great first line..... lots of stories in QF have killer first lines... not always ornate like that, but perfect for their stories: lines that seem to establish their stories' absolute particularity....

i interviewed Jennifer a couple years ago and she said this: "I obsess over strong beginnings and strong endings, which is asking for a lot when there's not a lot in between."

• You must be logged in to reply.