Discussion → What is an essay?

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Mar 14, 06:46am

From the Wikipedia entry on esssay:

"The word essay derives from the French infinitive essayer, "to try" or "to attempt". In English essay first meant "a trial" or "an attempt", and this is still an alternative meaning. The Frenchman Michel de Montaigne (1533-1592) was the first author to describe his work as essays; he used the term to characterise these as "attempts" to put his thoughts adequately into writing, and his essays grew out of his commonplacing.[4] Inspired in particular by the works of Plutarch, a translation of whose Oeuvres morales (Moral works) into French had just been published by Jacques Amyot, Montaigne began to compose his essays in 1572; the first edition, entitled Essais, was published in two volumes in 1580. For the rest of his life he continued revising previously published essays and composing new ones."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essay

I have the collected Montaigne on the bookshelf inside my front door, alongside the collected Chekhov, next to the fireplace. There's a photo of my shelves here:

http://annbogle.blogspot.com/2009/06/at-gate.html

Montaigne's inscription to his portrait: "My bald old pate, where the painter has set before you not a perfect face, but my own."

-- Essays 1, XXV

• Self_portrait.thumb
    eamon byrne
    Mar 14, 04:35pm

Interesting. I've The Complete Essays (trans M A Screech) inside my bedside table drawer. I occasionally read a few pages when I can't sleep. That doesn't sound too flattering of Montaigne, I know. One thing I like is the frequent insertions from his Latin masters. They are mainly in the nature of aphorisms. Also I like Screech's copious footnotes. Often, these two features are combined. (1. An echo of Seneca, Epist. moral., XX, 2-3: the wise man acts consistently, his deeds always in harmony with his words.)

• Photo_45.thumb
    Kane X. Faucher
    Apr 15, 12:47pm

Interesting anecdote about Montaigne is that he hadn't the stomach for the hunt, himself being a rather keen lover of animals. One of the more refreshing aspects of his "essays" has been in his candour, which is opposite of Rousseau's attempt at the same which are only rhetorically positioned to place his "genius" in starker relief.

The word essay and its French origin has a slightly longer history than Wikipedia knows. The answer to that riddle can be found in Montaigne's work and his connection to the Latins!

• Self_portrait.thumb
    eamon byrne
    Apr 16, 05:07am

But you must not say anything in this forum against Rousseau. One of my wife's favourite writers is Rousseau. A jihad against all who malign Rousseau!

• Photo_45.thumb
    Kane X. Faucher
    Apr 16, 05:17am

So no catty anecdotes about him running out the backdoor of rich ladies' homes when husband returns surprisingly early? O ho ho. I have a strange relationship with JJ...At times, I just want to poke fun at the pre-revolutionary!

• You must be logged in to reply.