Discussion → Creativity and Theology...will they ever get along?

• Raven.thumb
    Andrew Bowen
    Sep 22, 05:41pm

In most cases, the only difference between the expressive arts (fiction, poetry, painting, etc.) and theology is that one knows that it's bullshitting and the other takes itself too seriously. Both are creative endevours, born from mankind's desire to understand one's self, others and the world around them. So why can't we get along?

What do you think? Is there a way to reconcile these feuding siblings, or will abstract ideas continue to fight to the death for a concrete hold on the human psyche?

• Dsc00541crop.thumb
    Yvette Wielhouwer Managan
    Sep 30, 11:35am

One can always work WITH. Why don't creativity and theology get along? Is it a power struggle? Seems to me that they need not stifle each other, that the one that 'takes itself too seriously' could lighten up a little.

I'll not state which that one might be.

• Raven.thumb
    Andrew Bowen
    Oct 01, 02:27pm

Come on Yvette, don't be shy.

I agree. It is a power struggle. I believe that ideas (memes, I've heard them called) are just as competative and organic in nature as biology along evolutionary lines. The extremes of both theology and artistic expression fight constantly for 100% victory. So would it be mind over matter then, to make these forces of the heart, soul and mind sign a truce and recognize that they are in fact brothers, not enemies?

And if a truce cannot be reached, what does the future hold? Is this an eternal struggle or will one reign supreme in humanity's evoloved future?

• Dsc00541crop.thumb
    Yvette Wielhouwer Managan
    Oct 28, 08:04am

Good question, Andrew.

Here's the thing - two thousand years ago, maybe four, maybe twelve, when man asked questions, s/he came up with answers that suited his and her needs and ways of thinking and the answers became the words of the gods. Maybe s/he channelled the gods, maybe s/he used reason and devised, but that doesn't matter as much as THAT s/he asked and found answers.

Today, man asks and science answers. Does that make science the god of today? Are we afraid to propose that because it might interfere with the predefined concepts of god?

Just asking :D

• Raven.thumb
    Andrew Bowen
    Oct 29, 04:51pm

Nice.

And personally, nah, I ain't scared. I think all avenues of wisdom are valid so long as they don't infringe on another's attempts.

Have you (or anyone here) heard of the bicameral mind? A concept posted back in the 70's that early man's brain actually "spoke" between its two hemispheres before our minds evolved into a cohesive (relative term there) unit. Therefore, when mankind was just getting curious about their wider world, they may in fact have "heard" voices in their heads and thus we witness the birth of God's voice.

• You must be logged in to reply.