Discussion → Just A Thought or Two to Ponder

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Dec 30, 01:18pm

To paraphrase Glenn Olsen:"Religion can and should play a role in restoring a cultural openness to transcendence." What do you think?

The future belongs to those who give the next generation reason for hope. (Pierre Teilhard de Chardin)

Personally I'm not a fan of religion, but I do consider myself a spiritual seeker.

• Pic.thumb
    Edward Mullany
    Jan 01, 07:50pm

I agree with Olsen, and I would only add that, to the degree that faith involves an ability or willingness to imagine, faith and art can inform each other.  Every artist is, in a sense, a 'cousin' of the monk or the religious sister - even the artist who considers himself an agnostic or an unbeliever, in that the artist is defined by the creative act, which has, as a gesture, a devotional impulse.

• Raven.thumb
    Andrew Bowen
    Jan 04, 06:32am

Thanks, D.P. for starting this thread. Edward, I like your use of the word "cousin" here. I think it would come off as a bitter taste to either sides of the aisle to think of one another as related in our universal search for truth. At any rate, whether it's science, math, theology or a kid exploring an abandoned barn, we are all using our imaginations and pushing the "known" to acquire something new. I contend that religion is on the same playing field in that one must push their own limits and have a little faith to trust whatever conclusion they come to.

It's only when we think our ideas are superior to others and we bully accordingly that problems stir...

• You must be logged in to reply.