Discussion → Cervena Barva Press Announces "Talking Pictures" by Roger W. Hecht (Poetry Book)

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    Jul 13, 03:51pm

Cervena Barva Press Announces a New Poetry Book
    "Talking Pictures"
    by Roger W. Hecht

Roger W. Hecht grew up in Wheaton, Maryland, in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. His work has been published in Denver Quarterly, Columbia Poetry Review, Mudlark, Diagram, Prick of the Spindle, and other on-line and off-line journals. He was the winner of Syracuse University’s Delmore Schwartz Poetry Award. He is the author of a poetry chapbook, Lunch at the Table of Opposites (Red Dancefloor Press), and editor of The Erie Canal Reader: 1790-1950 (Syracuse University Press). Roger earned an M.F.A. from the University of Arizona and a Ph.D. from Syracuse University. He is currently an Assistant Professor of English at SUNY, College at Oneonta. Roger lives with his wife, Joan Marcus, and two daughters near Ithaca, New York.

----------------------------------------------
    Roger W. Hecht’s Talking Pictures is a vivid book of poems which draws us to “....this underworld.” He invites us to have a glance, a look, and then we as readers are deftly taken elsewhere. The taking (and the “talking!”) provides a keen sense of tempo and tone. The poetry is also often comic: in the strangely heroic poem “The Rumsfeld Sestina” (imagine!) the question is raised “What will they do once they catch you?” “You ask me what I knew and when I knew it” (from the same poem) hints at the kind of personal and impersonal worlds and factors which impinge, at least, on all of us. I return to Talking Pictures with pleasure. The variations Hecht employs in the poems’ shapes and cadences intrigue.
    —Michael Burkard, Author of Entire Dilemma and Unsleeping

Roger W. Hecht’s vocal and evocative collection, Talking Pictures, collects all right, is stuffed with stuff. The things (not poems exactly and not so much prose either but some hybrid unbranded entity) collected here have a thing for thing-ness. It is as if Hecht has constructed an elaborate yet elegant filter that slows the speed of light, turning it into a rich syrup, a saturated plasma, and gorgeous chunks of heretofore unknown matter materialize out of the either or ether. Picture that!
    —Michael Martone, Author of Four for a Quarter

$15.00 | ISBN: 978-0-9831041-5-5 | 50 Pages | In Stock

Order online at http://www.thelostbookshelf.com/cervenabooks.html

Talking Pictures
    $15.00

Shipping
    $3.00

Total
    $18.00

Send check or money order payable to:
    Cervena Barva Press
    P.O. Box 440357,