Forum / ...when we talk about groups

• Me2.thumb
    Lynn Beighley
    Apr 08, 12:30am

We've a lot of groups representing online literary journals. I always assumed that stories moved to those groups were moved there because they had been published in that group. But now I wonder if stories are moved to some of these groups in hopes of being published in these journals. Which is correct? Thanks in advance for any clarification.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Apr 08, 12:38am

I've always wondered what was going on there myself. Each group seems to have its own protocols. I'm interested in hearing what the administrators of those groups have to say about why their group is here and what they hope to accomplish with the presence.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Apr 08, 01:49am

At Blue Five Notebook...

"Feel free to post work in this group that appears in blue five notebook or elsewhere."

The group gives us a chance to post news about issues and the like. We don't move around FN to find work, though a few works that have appeared in private groups here have later appeared in Blue Fifth Review/Blue Five Notebook. A couple of pieces that have appeared on the public wall here have appeared in BFR/BFN.

In some magazine/journal groups here, I do know that editors have asked that unpbulished work be posted to the groups for the purpose of being considered for publication.

So, thre are various functions.

• Canada_usa_2011_002.thumb
    Christopher Allen
    Apr 08, 07:12am

The Metazen group hasn't been very active in the last few months, but our policy is post whatever you want to the group as long as you've been published at Metazen.

The inactivity of the group is basically the fault of some guy named Chris. Someone needs to whip his cute little behind.

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Apr 10, 04:21pm

the "policy" of the <a href="http://www.fictionaut.com/groups/kaffe-in-katmandu">kaffe in katmandu group</a> is clearly stated in the forum's one and only post:

<blockquote>if you post a piece here in the fnaut group, you should become a member of the kaffe proper and post it at the kaffe yourself. in exceptional cases, you can also ask me to put it up.</blockquote>

... however, any policy is only as good as its execution and i've not followed up on my own words.

... the idea still is that people who become members of the "kaffe" group in fictionaut also become members of the <a href="http://kaffeinkatmandu.com">kaffe in katmandu</a> where they can, of course, post anything they like, including pieces they've shown at fictionaut before.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Apr 11, 01:54pm

I've made 5 groups here at Fictionaut.

First was Oil Group. That was formed at the height of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. I'm still horrified by what scientists continue to discover. No way is that crisis over. But the news has abandoned it for other stories. Meanwhile you couldn't pay me to eat Gulf seafood. Stories on the spill and the "aftermath" are most welcome.

Second was WAF:Women's Armed Forces, a group dedicated to women's writing only. I felt we needed a group like that so I started it. It's cool to me, and feels cosy.

Third was The Valentine Massacre group. This was made for the stories/poems written specifically for V-day challenge. Last year we did the challenge and published a chapbook in time for this year's V-day (courtesy of Cervena Barva Press) with all the participants work, 25 writers total. It came out gorgeous, and there are still some copies if you wish to get one @ Cervena Barva Press for $7. www.cervenabarvapress.com

Fourth is Vomit Group. I think I was having an especially bad day, and needed somewhere to vomit. That group is dedicated to those types of stories.

Fifth is What I Wanted Group. I guess I was feeling needy. That group is fun and eclectic in terms of the stories and poems being posted.

I'm an editor at 2 mags. If I see something I love posted, I often ask to publish it.

So that's how I work my groups. Hope this helps.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.