Forum / new group 25+ (don't hate me)

• Fictionaut.thumb
    Meg Pokrass
    Feb 13, 09:01pm

Member numbers are climbing and some stories get favorited into orbit and so I'm adding this group. If the idea for this 25+ group makes people gag I am open to lowering the bar to 20 - a 10+ group was established long ago which AT THAT TIME was huge and is still very significant. Stories can go into both groups of course, the more grouped stories the better imo.

• Fictionaut.thumb
    Meg Pokrass
    Feb 13, 09:04pm

re: "don't hate me" - some of you already hate me and you guys can keep hating me indefinitely of course (that is a given).

The rest of you I hope won't hate me for making this group and if you do let me know - I am open to feedback and really want to do the right thing and my goal is not to increase the already competitive feeling here.

• Fictionaut.thumb
    Meg Pokrass
    Feb 13, 09:07pm

Also: please know that competitive feelings are synonymous with any writing community. That being said, Fictonaut is warm and in my opinion, handles it very well.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Feb 13, 11:43pm

i once wrote a story that begins with a line about hate. hate is so provocative. my grandma always told us that people who hate are jealous of the people they hate. i believe there is truth to that. anyway, meg, screw those who hate you. i love you. we were even married for a while (on facebook)and we broke up quite amicably. earlier today i joined the new group! and proudly. i'm sure others will too. like that old tv commercial used to say: if you got it, flaunt it.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Feb 14, 12:49am

Every morning, I get up, stand in front of the mirror, chant, "I am somebody ... I am somebody ... I am ..." Then my cell phone chimes and it's Jesse Jackson. He says, "No you're not."

But ... thanks to Meg's new 25+ group, I've regained my self-esteem, was offered a high-paying job in pharmaceuticals, and total strangers come up to me in the mall and say, "Aren't you Emilio Estevez?"

Susan Tepper
    Feb 14, 01:14am

Aren't you???
    Damn!

Susan Tepper
    Feb 14, 01:20am

Meg leave it at 25, that was your original intention. That will keep out some of the riff-raff (like the pseudo-Emilo Estevez types, if you get my drift..)

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Feb 14, 01:25am

Hmmm.... I must be the riff-raff. I'll keep standing in front of my mirror, chanting... chanting...

Susan Tepper
    Feb 14, 01:30am

Linda you are definitely not the riff-raff. Watch yourself and your purse when approached by bearded men in malls

• Nuclearman2_1_.thumb
    Christian Bell
    Feb 14, 12:22pm

I'm aghast that I was mentioned in this thread.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Feb 14, 02:38pm

Some people will do anything for a chuckle. I knew you'd see this as an opportunity 'n'sure enough, here y'are in yer cape and tights, sayin', "Aghast ye swabs."

• Nuclearman2_1_.thumb
    Christian Bell
    Feb 14, 02:47pm

I'm having cards printed with the words "aghast ye swabs" in bold lettering. Thanks, James--it's too f'in cool not to use. I'm adding an exclamation mark at the end, if that's okay.

I would like to say I only break out the cape and tights for parties and general superhero duties, but that is not the case. They get more use than you might think, and what was I thinking getting dry clean only?

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Feb 14, 03:30pm

Of course you can add an exclamation point. People in tights and a cape who do not add exclamation points to everything are never taken seriously.

You may ask me why I know this, but you will not get an answer.

• Canada_usa_2011_002.thumb
    Christopher Allen
    Feb 14, 05:36pm

Hey, Meg. +25 is great. As Fictionaut gains members it only makes sense to up the stakes.

• Fictionaut.thumb
    W.F. Lantry
    Feb 14, 06:32pm

Darn. I'm just riff-raff! Story of my life! ;)

• Nuclearman2_1_.thumb
    Christian Bell
    Feb 14, 09:07pm

Okay, I've shed the "Pseudo Emilio Estevez" handle and am back to my normal riff-raff self. You wouldn't believe the amount of "wtf?" messages and e-mails I got on that one. If I haven't got back to you yet, don't worry, I won't.

Oh, yeah, sent along my lone 25+er to the group. My incomparable, inspirational tale of the pseudo-phenomenon that was Joaquin Phoenix, actor turned rapper turned into a lame documentary that was pseudo everything (and speaking of wtf--wtf ever happened to Joaquin Phoenix?), that led to my pseudo name change and departure to Bhutan to take up yak herding.

You wouldn't believe the amount of e-mails and messages I still get daily on that one, asking when I'm going to quit writing and move to Bhutan. It's staggering, really, and I must say I'm somewhat offended that some of you insist on sending multiple such messages daily. The "Bell to Bhutan" donation thermometer graphic is off-putting as well, though I'm impressed you guys hit your goal in just 14 minutes.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.