Forum / A separate thread on Jürgen’s explanation on authors’ commenting on their own posts

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Feb 13, 01:20pm

• Just to clarify -- the recommended algorithm knows to disregard the author's comments on their own stories. You see them counted in the comment total, but they don't help get your story up the "spectral ladder." FWIW.
    • The tally *shows* the total number of comments, including the author's own, but internally, the algorithm factors them out when calculating the recommends list. It's like magic!

~

Thought I'd reprise this to make certain everyone had read Jürgen’s explanation about authors' responses to comments on their own posts not adding to their totals. No running up the numbers.

If you comment on my work, I respond on my post. I don't send a message to your wall. This way works best for me - to make certain I've responded either with thanks or explanation or comment about revision. If I had to send you a message, it would never be sent – I’m too much of a mad scientist to remember to do that. At the posts I can know that I responded.

• Innis_author_photo.thumb
    Julie Innis
    Feb 13, 08:12pm

Thank you for excerpting Jurgen's response, Sam -- a reassuring explanation that should not be lost in an increasingly distressing series of forum posts re. numbers, faves, the gaming of the 'system,' quid pro quo, etc etc, though admittedly I am a bit of a numbers-phobe and it's quite possible that I only write because I suck so badly at math.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Feb 13, 08:35pm

So the moral, Julie, is that if you were good at math you might solve for pi or become a serial killer or use masking tape to hold together the nose piece of your sunglasses or... (no check that) You wouldn't wear sunglasses at all if you were good at math. You would just squint a lot ... Instead, you write great stories. I'm glad you suck at math.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.