Forum / Does checking your Submishmash shtats

• 2161777446_a91102ea45.thumb
    Matt Dennison
    Dec 13, 04:46am

every hour on the hour speed up response times? Increase odds of acceptance?

(submishmash paddy-whack--give a dog a bone!)

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Dec 13, 09:06am

"shtats" - is that shtetl mathematics? short for shtatspolice? i don't even have "shtats" on my submission dashboard.

seriously though: of course it does. every child knows that statistics are the cause of things happening, not the result. the people of seattle make their own weather. in fact, i'm going to go out now to tell the people to please manifest some sunshine, not just snow.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Dec 13, 10:48am

wisht it did. i hear if you click your heels three times AND do the above, it helps. so do twenties. peace...

Matt Dennison
    Dec 13, 04:01pm

"seriously though: of course it does."

I KNEW it! Thanks!

• Canada_usa_2011_002.thumb
    Christopher Allen
    Dec 16, 09:26pm

I recently discovered the feature that allows you to show only active items (which removes all the "declined"s from your consciousness. I feel better.

Matt Dennison
    Dec 16, 10:39pm

Yeah, that's new.

Wheat and the chaff, and all that.

Matt Dennison
    Dec 17, 01:40am

(to show how much I was checking in, I was even there at the birth of the feature--checking in when site was down for maintenance, and again, a few minutes later, when it came back all spanky new...)

Matt Dennison
    Dec 17, 01:44am

One thing I WISH it would do is, above and beyond changing to In Progress when the file has been opened (and assumed glanced at), to indicate the DATE of the first reading.

I have had one story in the ManuscriptHub submission manager since March, though it indicates first read was only in October--which, having this information, lets me know it has only been "under consideration" for about two months, not ten.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Dec 17, 04:56pm

Editors can be so cruel and cavalier. I mean that in a good way, in case ... if one of them is listening. I like editors, I really do ...

Matt Dennison
    Dec 17, 05:05pm

So many people act as if editors (esp. of lit mags) are some rare beast who must be mollified and seduced, feared and hated, when for the most part they're just people looking for good writing, doing the best they can, being forced to swim in ca-ca for hours at a time, looking for said good writing.

Though that "Hitler Experiment" comes to mind, where the actual subject of the experiment (unbeknownst to them) is given the power to administer increasingly painful shocks to people giving wrong answers on a test while the "subject" cries out in (fake) pain.

Surprising, the number of people who administered more and more "pain" until the person simply failed to respond...

Matt Dennison
    Dec 17, 05:13pm

Dear Sir/Madam,

I forgot to insert "assholes" "bastards" "yeah, right" and "HA!" and the appropriate places.

I sincerely hope this does not disqualify my submission for consideration in your fine journal.

Yours forever and ever!
    Harold Q. Picklesniff

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Dec 17, 05:19pm

matt, aren't you talking about the "milgram experiment", not hitler? that was no experiment, alas.

Matt Dennison
    Dec 17, 05:21pm

Ha!

(I only remembered the nick-name of the little venture!)

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Dec 17, 06:10pm

Literary mags .... You know, it would be so much easier if I was to write vampire novels about serial killings at a magicicians' university in Stockholm featuring a manic/depressive private detective named Sven who has a Goth girlfriend with a lot of tattoos...

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Dec 17, 06:15pm

certainly more lucrative ;^) though i understand zombies is where it's at now.

sigh from this corner. re lit mags. tis the season to sit on submissions. not that (ahem) do so. noooooo... i turn my slush around in 10 days or less. seeing the submishmash docs sitting in 'received' is very frustrating, especially after 3 months. all i want for xmas...

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Dec 17, 06:43pm

Magicicians? Did I say magicicians?

Linda, I never understood the zombie thing. I could, however, do the bi-polar detective thing. Tattoos are hot, finally. Happy Holidays and ... there's always next year.

I hear the sighs.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.