Forum / Questions about recording/reading work...

• 2161777446_a91102ea45.thumb
    Matt Dennison
    Dec 06, 12:14am

I have to make a podcast mp3.

I've downloaded Audacity.

I have a Shure 57 microphone.

Big (stupid-feeling) Question:

How/where do I plug the microphone into computer?!

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Dec 06, 12:35am

hahahahaha... oh I can't wait to hear the answer. Same boat - have a decent mike but think I need some sort of converter to adapt to my laptop!

Um... but you can just use the microphone built-in to the computer (if you have one).

Don't forget to download the lame file (it'll prompt you). Otherwise, you'll have to save as a wav file. Have fun! Peace...

Matt Dennison
    Dec 06, 12:41am

I just saw where Shure sells a USB converter thing, but for approx. $150.

Wouldn't there just be a physical adapter I can use to reduce 1/4 inch mic cord down to tiny one to jam into the computer somewhere, or do it have to be a digital-type microphone to begin with?

Matt Dennison
    Dec 06, 12:51am

Yeah, I saw that about the lame file thing. something about audacity not recording to mp3s for some kind of legal reason, but you can convert.

(I'm gonna convert to Mp3ism!)

• Fictionaut.thumb
    W.F. Lantry
    Dec 06, 07:54am

Matt,

From what I can tell (just did a brief search) that Shure 57 just isn't compatible with a computer. I just went through this because I got tired of the poor quality of my audio files for journals like soundzine and verse wisconsin.

So I decided to get a decent mic to record on my machine. I wanted a "Rode Podcaster," but couldn't justify the price. I ended up with a C-1U (http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/C-1U.aspx). It's about 50 bucks at amazon. You really want a USB condenser mic if you expect anything close to decent sound... that is, if you want people to actually listen to the sound files you make. Trying to do it off the computer's built in mic, or off a cell phone, or off one of those cheap mics you get with a stand or web cam... well, it will lead to much frustration and gnashing of teeth... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Matt Dennison
    Dec 06, 02:43pm

thanks, Bill. That's great! I know I would have ended up going in circles trying to get that Shure to work!

I'm going to try and find that (or compatible) at the local Office Depot, as time's a' wasting (procrastination--it's not just for children!).

SO it plugs into an available USB port, and not that tiny little pink microphone plug in the back?

• Fictionaut.thumb
    W.F. Lantry
    Dec 06, 06:32pm

Matt,

Yep. Gets its power and transmits data through the same USB port. The sound is great.

Whatever you do, don't go for the *cheap* mics at office depot. Make sure it says "USB condenser", or you'll just end up buying a better one later on. I have two cheap ones in my desk drawer, darn it! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Matt Dennison
    Dec 07, 01:28am

I have a $20 rewards-card-thingy from Office Depot, but they didn't have SQUAT in terms of good mics.

Amazon here we come!

(Thanks again, W.)

Matt Dennison
    Dec 10, 09:21am

success....(!)

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Dec 10, 02:03pm

matt, let's hear it.

Matt Dennison
    Dec 10, 03:07pm

Hear what?

;-)

Marcus Speh
    Dec 10, 04:16pm

the podcast. i quote: "I have to make a podcast mp3." that's the one line that i read and then i read "success" so now i'm waiting for my money.

Matt Dennison
    Dec 10, 04:50pm

I know!

It's for the upcoming Mad Hatters' Review. Should be out in Jan., I believe.

But can you copy/paste an mp3 into the Author's Note when posting a perm here?

• Fictionaut.thumb
    W.F. Lantry
    Dec 13, 05:30am

Probably not. But you *can* slap it up on a webserver somewhere, and link to the file... ;)

Matt Dennison
    Dec 13, 05:59am

yeah, I tried pasting it into a private story and it wouldn't go. has to be a linked website like you said, I imagine.

Hmmm... innersting... I enjoyed it more than I thought I would...

Marcus Speh
    Dec 13, 08:53am

... and i really enjoyed my preview of your recording. folks: matt got an amazing voice to go with amazing words. you can also put the recording on a public webfolder like http://dropbox.com. you can use mine if you want - there's no link to my name or anything, if you only want to give people a listen.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Dec 13, 10:47am

Matt DOES have a great voice to go with great words (better than cranberry jelly with turkey for sure) ;^)

Um, I'm foraying too (ordered my mic! yay!), so thanks all for sharing info. Just wish there was some gadget that could take help squeaky voices. Peace...

Matt Dennison
    Dec 13, 05:56pm

Thanks, M et L. You too kine... The other pieces are a bit too short to justify/benefit from readings, imo. But it was fun to do.

Thanks for that dropbox.com link, Marcus. Will check it out.

(And I'm glad to have finally got the recording done, as this morning I woke up, took a bite of cornbread and a ^#%!#%ing tooth fell out.)

Matt Dennison
    Dec 13, 06:05pm

Linda--

Did you get the one with the Minnie Mouse Deconfabulator Switch?

I got the THX830 with the Homer Simpson Deconfabulator. A bit pricey but worth it!

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Dec 13, 09:06pm

I've given up on recording. I don't care how much I could spend, I'd still come out sounding like a Munchkin. Hence, my one recorded visual poem uses the echo effect.

Marcus Speh
    Dec 14, 06:03am

matt, i asked about this technology in my local store. fortunately, they had one of those THX830 in stock, would you believe it! i'm baking egg on rye with it now.

susan, that visual poem of yours is great, i loved it. you should share a link...and even a munchkin voice can inspire. it certainly will inspire other munchkins (lol...sorry, cheap shot).

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Dec 14, 08:20pm

Hah--maybe I will. Since all the images are original too--even Mars and Poe! Then you can laugh at my drawing as well as my voice.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.