Forum / Obit

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Dec 01, 10:41pm

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nytimes/obituary.aspx?n=lynn-strong&pid=146851413

I got this news today from a closest family friend whose close friend she was and cried when I read how this woman had lived her life, what she had chosen to do with it.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Dec 01, 11:17pm

Ann I have to say I got really nervous when I saw you'd posted this. I think I know Lynn Strong from somewhere, but I don't have the heart to open this obit and read it. I'm sorry it made you feel so bad. I might read it later if I can get up the courage. I'm not good with death.

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Dec 01, 11:22pm

"We can't believe that she isn't here to argue the evils of the serial comma." Sounds like a remarkable person who made a huge difference in our world. One of the behind the scenes people who make sure the ship is steered right. I'm sure she'll be missed but oh what a life!

Ann Bogle
    Dec 02, 12:12am

Susan, I meant I cried with admiration that Lynn Strong had edited so many important writers of our time.

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Dec 02, 10:47am

that is a beautiful obituary in all its brevity. she comes across as a bold seeker of talent. thanks for sharing.

Ann Bogle
    Dec 02, 04:28pm

Copyeditors are among the unsung, according to another tribute to her life that I read.

"Before she came to Workman, she copy edited Capote, Doctorow, Elkin, Roth, Mailer, Michener, Vidal, Matthiessen, and Plimpton, to name just a few; all had great praise for her work."

I have a list of books she copy edited at Random House. Ours is a world in which care for the written language is itself passing.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Dec 02, 10:53pm

Ann I'm glad you explained.
    Yep-- "care for the written language itself is passing."
    Another obit in that.

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    Dec 03, 03:45pm

How sad...
    She was remarkable. What a loss.

With hearfelt saddness-
    Gloria

• You must log in to reply to this thread.