Forum / Inspiration from Stephen King

• 0804d24.thumb
    Matthew A. Hamilton
    Dec 01, 06:07pm

You can never go wrong with Stephen King.

I'm reading King's book "On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft."

This phrase just caught my eye and I thought I'd share: "One thing I've noticed is that when you've had a little success, magazines are a lot less apt to use that phrase, 'Not for Us.'"

Keeping writing! (this is my line)

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Dec 01, 06:20pm

i feel quite tender towards the old hack. i'm sure he'd like that: one thing that (from my perspective) distinguishes him from many other (esp. successful writers and hacks) is the almost intimate relationship he seems to enjoy with his readers. a few hundred million of them!

this book saved my writing life once when i first read it, years ago, and felt in a particularly sore spot of sourness over the craft. thanks for reminding me of it. i think it's full of valuable stuff.

almost as interesting as king himself is the literature and the movement against king. only the greatest hack writers bring out the best in their enemies.

i just bought his latest, "full dark, no stars", for my kindle and i'm looking forward to it. i read a couple of french authors on the side to remain sane...

• P9224268.thumb
    Shelagh Power-Chopra
    Dec 01, 11:43pm

I love that book, one of his best...;) Some wonderful anecdotes in there...and as Marcus said, very encouraging.

• 2161777446_a91102ea45.thumb
    Matt Dennison
    Dec 01, 11:54pm

The part where he and his wife share the good news about the acceptance of "Carrie" brings a tear to my eye...

• Dsc01252new.thumb
    Jules Archer
    Dec 02, 01:22am

Yes, I love this book. I try to read it and The Elements of Style at least once a year.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.