Forum / Can someone help me clean up my act?

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    Oct 20, 09:56pm

I just posted a story--Friend of the Week--and I can't get rid of the 3 paragraphs of garble at the top of the page. When I try to edit it, the garble doesn't appear, only when it is published. It's kind of driving me nuts.

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    Oct 21, 12:32am

Hi Jane, I got rid of the garbled stuff -- but I think I also might have gotten rid of some of the other formatting, like the italics in the last line. Oops. Would you take another look?

Usually, copying the text to Notepad or some other basic text editor, and saving and reopening it, will get rid of any strange characters -- that stuff is inserted by Word and other fancy software. We're trying to get rid of it when you paste it, but evidently, some of it still sneaks through.

Sorry about that -- and sorry about your italics! Please email me if you have any more problems, and I'll take another look.

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Oct 21, 12:33am

Oh, and that was me posting the above -- I had to shapeshift into Jane to make the edits. Sorry for the confusion...

• 2161777446_a91102ea45.thumb
    Matt Dennison
    Oct 21, 12:42am

Jane--

I was just going to say that the lack of response after three hours was most likely due, in part, to people collectively fighting the urge to say:

"Fix it yourself, font-face!"

;-)

(for the record, it's *still* garbled.)

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Oct 21, 12:55am

I'm now waiting for the next opportunity to call someone a font face.

I don't see the garbled characters in the beginning anymore, Matt. Did you reload the page?

Matt Dennison
    Oct 21, 01:01am

I did a few times, finally stuck. Is good now.

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    Oct 21, 01:43am

Thanks Jürgen--I don't care that much about the italics, and I can just put them back if I really feel the need for them. And thanks for the info on how to fix it in the future. That way I can avoid being called font-face =) I've been called a lot of things, but that was a new one!

Matt Dennison
    Oct 21, 02:10am

(you *did* read that in the garbled stuff, right?)

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    Oct 22, 02:24am

Ha, Matt--I didn't read it in the garble. I thought it was your own creative term. I think you should just go ahead and take credit for it :)

Matt Dennison
    Oct 22, 02:35am

Ha!

Well, it also had "me so Normal,"

but where's the fun in that?!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.