Forum / Private Groups for Workshopping

Paula Ray
    Sep 22, 06:53pm

I looked through many of the groups listed here on Fictionaut, but I didn't see any groups listed that were not public.

I'm interested in workshopping unpublished material in a private arena where the work will not be considered previously published by potential editors.

Is there such a group here on Fictionaut that is set up for such private workshopping?

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Sep 23, 06:31am

Hi Paula,

Yes, there is a group called "The Workshop" and I believe that though it first needs to be posted as usual, the story itself can then be sent to the group and marked "Private".

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Sep 23, 08:24am

With private groups, Paula, you have to receive an invitation to join. I think the administrator of the group has to give the invitation. Workshop doesn't show up in the groups list because it is a private group.

Maybe someone who's in that group – and reads this thread – can let you know who you need to contact.

• 2161777446_a91102ea45.thumb
    Matt Dennison
    Sep 23, 10:33am

Pssst.

Paula.

How much money you got?

I know a guy who knows a guy...

• Picture_1.thumb
    Barry Friesen
    Sep 23, 02:05pm

Hi, Paula--

If you go to "The Workshop" and then click on the discussion thread below named "Doormat for Hidden Workshop," you can ask there for an invitation to the Hidden Workshop from Dorothee Lang, who hosts.

A story placed there is visible only to members of the Hidden Workshop, but for whatever reason, it's not very active.

Are you a member of Zoetrope? That has a short story board with about a hundred stories currently reviewed and workshopped by members, and since you have to have a (free) membership to be able to read the stories, a story workshopped on Zoe is not considered published by potential editors. If you google a story that's on Fn, it shows up; one posted on Zoe doesn't.

best,
    barry

• Canada_usa_2011_002.thumb
    Christopher Allen
    Sep 23, 02:15pm

Where is "The Workshop"? Forgive me for being stupid, but "go to" is too general for me.

• Canada_usa_2011_002.thumb
    Christopher Allen
    Sep 23, 02:19pm

OK. I found it. Most of the posts are nine months old. This is a disease on fictionaut. I've experienced it in my own group (Metazen). Are people active in the groups? I have the capacity to be very active. Let me light up your world.

• Picture_1.thumb
    Barry Friesen
    Sep 23, 03:16pm

Chris--

Sorry I was too vague. Yuh, the Workshop didn't fly, really.

Thing is, it's a Facebook world now, and Fictionaut, too, is not really a place for critical back-and-forth feedback to workshop stories. It's more a place to post published stories to get a few more readers, and the etiquette is to find something positive to say about people's stuff, briefly. A bit equivalent of having a "like" button. Oh, wait. Favs. I forgot faves. HAHAHA.

Nothing wrong with this. Everybody's having fun, the stories are fun, but it's not really a place to workshop stories, it turns out.

Zoetrope gets you an average of 5 or 6 reviews of a posted story, and sometimes you full-scale comment on craft and story problems; mostly it's just 100 word drive-by reviews. It has a bunch of private offices where people workshop longer stuff and flashes, though.

Easier to just workshop stories directly between writers by email, I find.

Paula Ray
    Sep 23, 04:53pm

Thank you for all the wonderful tips.

I do belong to Zoetrope and have workshopped many stories there, still do. Zoetrope has a lot to offer.

I was craving a group where we don't keep score - we just workshop and learn.

I'll keep searching...

Paula Ray
    Sep 23, 04:58pm

Oh, and I will check out the workshop group here, but if it is inactive...there's not much point.

Matt, I have LOTS of money. I have a color printer. You reckon that guy you know has a thing for purple Benjamins? Most of my stash is purple, but I have a few blue twenties thrown in the mix. Find out and hook me up...

• 2161777446_a91102ea45.thumb
    Matt Dennison
    Sep 23, 05:58pm

"a few blue twenties"

I think he'll take that line as payment rendered!

;-)

• You must log in to reply to this thread.