Forum / Looking for guidance on whether a concept is marketable or not

• Crimescene.thumb
    Frank Freund Sr.
    Sep 17, 06:21pm

I am looking for your guidance on a concept I have been toying with. I am considering publishing on Smashwords. My concept is a series of 6,000 word fiction e-books that would be short reads and hopefully create a following for the character. So my question is, would I be better off creating one e-book of multiple short stories or several short 6,000 word e-books? Your guidance is truly appreciated and I thank you all in advance.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Sep 17, 06:35pm

I don't know why you think that a "concept" would have anything to do with creating " a following for the character." I'm not criticizing you or your question, which sounds like it was advanced in real curiousity and good faith, but I don't know anyone who seriously reads for the "concept." Most people I know, and this includes everyone I've encountered through Fictionaut, read to discover good writing. If you write well, and I'm sure you can, the character will find a following, whatever the format.

• 2161777446_a91102ea45.thumb
    Matt Dennison
    Sep 17, 06:45pm

Sounds like six of one, half dozen of the other, to me.

But think best way to accomplish your ultimate goals is to start getting the character/stories published in reputable magazines. This process, though not offering the instant gratification of "publishing," would lead to contact with editors--people who read many, many stories every month.

Any feedback from them would be valuable.

If it's genre work (sci-fi, fantasy, etc.), you have a pretty good chance of having the stories mentioned in reviews, as work in that field has a wider, more involved, following (imo) than straight literary stuff.

• Jalousie.thumb
    stephen hastings-king
    Sep 17, 11:35pm

well, you'd likely want to work some conceptual rationale into your choice so you can do something with it as a form, yes? the series of shorter things would let you play with time in maybe interesting ways, or with perspective (it's the same thing) or with approaches to events that's rooted in them. or something. like most everything, it's only as arbitrary as you decide it is.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Sep 18, 07:05am

I take a different slant. The material should always dictate the form, the setting, the theme, the style. Let the material find its way, and you'll be more pleased with the outcome. It's taken me some time to reach this point though - I have to say. The best writing - no matter the genre - should come from your wilderness, not your paved streets.

And my thoughts here have nothing to do with editing. That's a necessary process, and vital to the work - but after the fact.

A writer's work finding its wholeness and completed form is a good experience - good feeling. Then, watching the separate parts, sections, pieces come together to give shape to a ms - novel, story or poetry collection - even greater.

I also realize that everyone can't or won't approach writing this way, but it's the only way I can.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Sep 18, 07:29am

"Form is never more than an extension of content."

Robert Creeley

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Sep 18, 08:04am

Good quote, David. I agree with Creeley - egg beofre the chicken.

• Crimescene.thumb
    Frank Freund Sr.
    Sep 19, 08:15am

Thanks to all of you...I really appreciate the responses!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.