Forum / Creep by Radiohead

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Aug 26, 09:26pm

Creep by Radiohead

by Darryl Price

You've got the meaning of this song all wrong. The point is, he's singing cynically, to my ears, about how some people just seem to be allowed to live above it all. Gee, it must be so great, so special, to live in such a privileged world bubble, where you get to "float like a feather in a beautiful world." Where things like rent, groceries, heat in the Winter, shelter, comfortable or even just affordable shoes, etc., are not anxiety inducing daily stresses. She probably gets orange juice and eggs every morning for breakfast. You notice he says, I'd like to have a beautiful body, too, like you, one that must come from having the means and the time to take care of it, but he balances it out with, I want a perfect soul. Here's the thing. You can have a perfect soul without having a perfect body. Just ask anyone with a disability. So he's talking about the illusion of both, but I think he's not just weighing and comparing them out, but choosing one over the other. John Lennon addressed this in Working Class Hero: As Soon As You're Born They Make You Feel Small. Or as Melanie once did in Beautiful People, If I weren't afraid you'd laugh at me I would run and take all your hands. When she's looking at him through that glass wall, of course he's thinking she must be saying to herself, what a creep, what a weirdo. If he weren't, he would be on this side of the glass, like me. Happy and beautiful and free, in other words, special. And I don't belong here could be a lament either way. But for me, it's the lament of looking through the glass wall at all. In the first place. When there are better ways to spend one's time. I want you to notice when I'm not around could very well be I want you to think about someone other than yourself for a change. Show a little sympathy, empathy or compassion in your fashion. Or it could be just a guy whining about a girl who won't give him the time of day. Either way Johnny Greenwood's guitar work is stirring and sterling!

• Img_20220916_174315_923.thumb
    Jeffrey S. Callico
    Aug 26, 10:00pm
  • Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Aug 29, 06:02pm

.."I know every rock and tree and creature
    Has a life, has a spirit, has a name.
    You think the only people who are people
    Are the people who look and think like you."--from Colors of the Wind

I like to think philosophically I guess. We could be talking about a lot of different songs. But my point is, great art engages us in more than just excellence and craft. It goes much deeper than that by making our feelings get involved. It awakens possibilities of thoughts and actions. It motivates us to write our own songs, poems and stories. To see beyond the obvious, "but if you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew you never knew...and we are all connected to each other, in a circle, in a hoop that never ends."--from Colors of the Wind by Alan Menken. Or something like that.

• The_lucky_ones.thumb
    Tim G. Young
    Aug 31, 06:11am

Since this is mostly about CREEP, I thought I better throw this up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFkzRNyygfk

BTW, over a billion views.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.