Forum / "This book is unbelievably good. People just have a lot of trouble paying attention to it."

• Better.thumb

"He'd thought himself into an erection. He covered it with the 'Times' classified and waited for it to subside. A few pigeons watched him, curious. It was shortly after noon and the sun was hot. I ought to keep looking, he thought, the day isn't over. What was he going to do? He was, they told him, unspecialized. Everybody else was at peace with some machine or other. Not even a pick and shovel had been safe for Profane.

"He happened to look down. His erection had produced in the newspaper a crosswise fold, which moved line by line down the page as the swelling gradually diminished. It was a list of employment agencies. Okay, thought Profane, just for the heck of it I will close my eyes, count three and open them and whatever agency listing that fold is on I will go to them. It will be like flipping a coin: inanimate schmuck, inanimate paper, pure chance.

"He opened his eyes on Space/Time Employment Agency, down on lower Broadway, near Fulton Street. Bad choice, he thought. It meant 15 cents for the subway. But a deal was a deal."
    -------------------------------------------------
    Look at how much life is in this: "A few pigeons watched him, curious." He waited for it "to subside." What the hell? Things keep happening all around you, regardless.

This book is unbelievably good. People just have a lot of trouble paying attention to it.

https://www.amazon.com/V-Novel-Thomas-Pynchon/dp/0063289539

• You must log in to reply to this thread.