Forum / a friendly reminder

• Photo_00020.thumb
    strannikov
    Apr 23, 08:53pm

Today, 23 April 2023, marks the seventh anniversary (or the ninth, more or less, depending on formalities of chronology that elude me) of:

http://fictionaut.com/stories/strannikov/anyone-but-shakespeare--2

I didn't mention it in the piece, but the animation of some of my pique came from the fact that my DVD of Branagh's full-length Hamlet features a technical glitch almost exactly at the second entrance of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in Act II, Scene ii, a regrettable lapse in production standards for so lavish a presentation: really throws off the continuity when the screen suddenly freezes and refuses to come unstuck. --Not the author's fault, of course, but then if he had never written the play . . . I would prefer to enjoy the complete play with R & G in the cast (unlike, say, Olivier's 1948 version), but alas! I can't see buying a new copy of Branagh's version, and I'm sure having the receipt for the original purchase would do me no good now.

I'd like to be able to enjoy a version of Marlowe's Dr. Faustus other than the Burton/Coghill production, but Marlowe's works remain much less conspicuous on both stage and screen than . . . that other fellow's.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.