Forum / Antarctic waters afloat (for now)

• Photo_00020.thumb
    strannikov
    Feb 11, 05:24pm

While it has not attained prominent headline status, it is at least significant and noteworthy that iceberg A-81 detached from Antarctica three weeks ago.

No, it's not the size of the Thwaites Glacier, but neither is it small. One online account tells us:

'The iceberg, known as “A81” is extremely large. It covers an area of about 600 square miles (1,550 square kilometers). That’s about twice the size of New York City, or roughly the size of London. The iceberg is about 500 feet (152 meters) thick.'

(Still no mathematician at this late date, it might be at least interesting to learn what the water volume of a 1550-square kilometer iceberg up to 152 meters thick might be. --Any hydrologists out there?)

Yet another notch in the steady arrival of Technogenic Climate Change, someone could begin to argue.

• Photo_00020.thumb
    strannikov
    Feb 11, 05:43pm

As illustrated with time-lapse photography:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx8lFr5DhX0

• Photo_00020.thumb
    strannikov
    Feb 11, 08:21pm
  • Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Feb 12, 04:01pm

"Man thinks 'cause he rules the Earth, he can do with it as he please
    And if things don't change soon, he will
    Oh, man has invented his doom
    First step was touching the moon"--Bob Dylan

Last night I had a dream in which I was holding the Earth in my arms like a small child who needed comforting. I couldn't think of any words to say, so I just said I love you through hugging. The Earth snuggled and so did I, TRYING NOT TO CRY. WE HAVE DONE SO MANY AWFUL THINGS TO OUR BEAUTIFUL PLANET. We are all Earthlings. We come from the same planet Earth, if anyone should ask. It is our home. It is who we are. If it disappears forever we will be all that's left to tell the story of our once amazing world to the rest of the universe. dp

• You must log in to reply to this thread.